Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Loch of Yarrows, standing stones and cairn 500m ESE of south end of loch

A Scheduled Monument in Wick and East Caithness, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 58.3709 / 58°22'15"N

Longitude: -3.1702 / 3°10'12"W

OS Eastings: 331648

OS Northings: 943091

OS Grid: ND316430

Mapcode National: GBR L6JL.Y7T

Mapcode Global: WH6DT.8VNN

Entry Name: Loch of Yarrows, standing stones and cairn 500m ESE of S end of loch

Scheduled Date: 17 May 1939

Last Amended: 29 October 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM505

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: standing stone

Location: Wick

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness

Traditional County: Caithness

Description

The monument comprises two standing stones and a circular cairn - ritual and funerary monuments of the Neolithic and Bronze ages. The standing stones were originally scheduled in 1939, but an inadequate area was defined for their protection; the current scheduling rectifies this, and incorporates the adjacent burial cairn.

The stones and cairn lie at approximately 135m OD, on a hill ridge overlooking Loch of Yarrows and Battle Moss, and standing on an artificial "island" of raised ground, created by peat cutting in the vicinity. They form a rough alignment running NW-SE with the stones to the N. The northernmost stone stands approximately 2.5m high, but is only c.0.5m wide by 0.3m thick. Situated about 10m to the S, the other stone is around 1.75m high, 0.5m wide and 0.3m thick. The area around the stones shows signs of antiquarian investigations during the last century: their digging did not produce any evidence of burials, but did reveal the substantial packing stones around the base of both standing stones.

The cairn, which lies approximately 30m to the SE, was also excavated by antiquarians during the 19th century, when a long cist containing human remains was found. No trace of the cist can be seen today, and the cairn survives as a circular turf and stone mound, approximately 10.5m in diameter and 0.5m high surmounted by modern stone dumping. Elements of the original walling can be seen near the base of the cairn.

The area to be scheduled is sub-oval in shape, measuring a maximum of 70m NW-SE by 30m, to cover the remains described above and an area around and between them where evidence relating to their construction and use may be expected to survive, as shown in red on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.