Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Loch Doon Castle, original site & remains of, 570m north east of Craigmalloch

A Scheduled Monument in Doon Valley, East Ayrshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.2238 / 55°13'25"N

Longitude: -4.3784 / 4°22'42"W

OS Eastings: 248813

OS Northings: 594758

OS Grid: NX488947

Mapcode National: GBR 4M.DS7P

Mapcode Global: WH3S3.QY7Q

Entry Name: Loch Doon Castle, original site & remains of, 570m NE of Craigmalloch

Scheduled Date: 3 November 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8619

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Straiton

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Doon Valley

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Description

Ross and Macbeth, 1895, and substantial extension to southeast, 1913. 2-storey, 7-bay, symmetrical T-plan former school academy building in Francois 1er style. Red sandstone ashlar. Gableted centre bay and advanced end bays are framed with engaged pilasters at the ground floor, rising to octagonal piers at the first floor surmounted by octagonal domes. Corniced bandcourse as entablature. Mullioned and transomed tripartite and bipartite windows to the end bays, those at first floor are set in round-headed arches with carved tympana. The first floor window at the centre is set in round-headed overarch with elaborately carved tympanum. A scalloped parapet with ogee gablet is at the centre. Above at centre is a large ogee-roofed slated belfry. Predominantly lying panes in timber sash and case windows, gabled slated roofs. Some lanterns metal roof vents. Cast iron hoppers and drain pipes.

The large 1913 block is of similar style and material to the principal 1895 block, and attributed solely to Macbeth. It is a long 2-storey, roughly rectangular-plan extension to the southeast corner of the main building set next to the roadway in an elevated position. The wide central entrance bay to the southwest is framed with engaged pilasters at the ground floor, rising to octagonal piers at the first floor, terminated with small domes with flanking single storey blocks, that to the left are gabled with pedimented doorway; that to right with scalloped shaped parapet. Gabled blocks are set back to rear blocks, with mullioned and transomed fenestration similar to the main building, including round-headed arches with blind tympana. Corniced eaves course. Ball finals to gable apexes. Cast iron hoppers and drain pipes.

The interior, seen in 2014, is largely intact including many late 19th century fixtures and fittings. There is a large central assembly hall with atrium, with cast iron Doric columns, railings and decorative spandrels. There is a hammerbeam roof with timber trusses and with several skylight openings. The atrium is accessed by an imperial staircase to the rear. Timber panels to corniced dado throughout corridors and former classrooms. Coombed ceilings to classrooms. Some herringbone parquet flooring.

The former lodge to the north dates to 1899 and is a single storey, 3-bay, square-plan and symmetrical former caretaker residence constructed in red sandstone ashlar. It has a small extension to the rear. Prominent and advanced gabled stone porch with timber two-leaf entrance set in semi-circular ribbed arch and with rounded chamfered corners. Stacks to gable ends, large flat skews and shouldered skewputts with slated roof. Bipartite windows with six over plate glass timber sash and case windows. The interior was seen in 2014. Plan form is largely intact, plain painted glass skylight to foyer. Some internal features remain, such as fireplaces (now blocked) and their surrounds.

Low coped coursed rubble boundary wall, with decorative iron railings (dating to circa 1950) and pyramidal capped gatepiers to Stephen's Street.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the remains of a 13th-century castle which has the potential to contribute to our understanding of medieval defensive and domestic structures, their social history and material culture. its importance is further enhanced by the association of the castle with the Bruce family and its involvement in the Wars of Independence.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/98697

Ordnance Survey, 2nd Edition. Surveyed 1902, published 1904. Inverness-shire - Mainland, Sheet 012.02. London: Ordnance Survey.

Inverness Courier, March 3, 1893 (advertisement for tenders).

Statistical Account for Scotland, ix (1794), p.619.

Evening Telegraph, Saturday 30 April and 7 May 1892.

New Statistical Account, xiv, pp.16, 30-31.

Gifford, J (1992). Buildings of Scotland: Highlands and Islands. London: Penguin Books. p.195.

Further information provided courtesy of the owner (2014).

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.