Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Triduana's Aisle,chapel and wellhouse

A Scheduled Monument in Craigentinny/Duddingston, City of Edinburgh

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9579 / 55°57'28"N

Longitude: -3.1494 / 3°8'57"W

OS Eastings: 328331

OS Northings: 674469

OS Grid: NT283744

Mapcode National: GBR 8YC.KR

Mapcode Global: WH6SM.LHGZ

Entry Name: St Triduana's Aisle,chapel and wellhouse

Scheduled Date: 17 October 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90133

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: chapel

Location: Edinburgh

County: City of Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Craigentinny/Duddingston

Traditional County: Midlothian

Description

The monument consists of St Triduana's Aisle, a hexagonal two-storeyed chapel of the 15th century.

The sunken vaulted chamber of a 15th-century building adjoins the partly rebuilt medieval church of Restalrig. Only fragments remain of an upper chamber. The lower chamber was cleared out and restored in 1907 by Dr Thomas Ross, and has since been known as "St Triduana's Well-House".

The presence of water may be accidental and the structure is probably a chapel rather than a well-house. The lower chamber of the hexagon is 2.25m below ground level and measures about 15m across externally. The walls are pierced by windows of three pointed and cusped lights beneath three-centered arches, externally surmounted by moulded dripstones.

The chamber is entered from the churchyard through a small court and a door in the SW wall of the hexagon. There were four butresses, but only one is original, the remainder having been replaced in 1907. The interior vault springs from the foliated capitals of angle-shafts and a clustered central pillar.

The upper chamber was a more refined chamber and was probably the Kings Chapel endowed by King James III in 1477. An entry in the Exchequer Rolls of 1486-7 records the payment for the roof of the chapel. In 1609 the church was described as ruinious, but the lower chamber of the hexagon was preserved as a burial aisle for the Logans of Restalrig.

The area to be scheduled is a circle 15m across with an appended square of side 6m just N of W, to include the hexagonal chamber, the entry courtyard and the area immediatly around the chapel which is likely to contain archaeological evidence for the construction of the monument. It specifically excludes the section of the 19th century church adjacent to the monument. The area is marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its architectural quality and because of its association with James III as part of the construction of the King's chapel built before 1487. The area around has the potential to provide archaeological evidence for the construction of the chapel and for ecclesiastical use of the site.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NT 27 SE 103.01.

Reference:

MacIvor, I, 1965, 'The King's Chapel at Restalrig and St Triduana's Aisle: a hexagonal two-storeyed chapel of the fifteenth century', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol. 96, 247-63.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
St. Triduana's Aisle
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/st-triduanas-chapel-restalrig-collegiate-church
Find out more

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.