Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Muckraw, building 200m ESE of

A Scheduled Monument in Armadale and Blackridge, West Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9256 / 55°55'32"N

Longitude: -3.7146 / 3°42'52"W

OS Eastings: 292958

OS Northings: 671605

OS Grid: NS929716

Mapcode National: GBR 1M.ZRFR

Mapcode Global: WH5RD.XB97

Entry Name: Muckraw, building 200m ESE of

Scheduled Date: 27 January 2005

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM11224

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: hall

Location: Torphichen

County: West Lothian

Electoral Ward: Armadale and Blackridge

Traditional County: West Lothian

Description

The monument comprises the upstanding remains of a high status late medieval building.

The building, measuring c. 18m ENE-WSW by 7m transversely, is located at c.160m OD in the E corner of a gently sloping field to the E of Muckraw Farm. It is substantial in nature, with large boulders incorporated into the lime-mortared walling, which is over 1m thick in places. Sections of the walling stand to over 1m in height. At the E end of the building the remains of a dressed stone window can be seen in the gable end, which has evidently stood much higher in recent times, but has been knocked inwards, filling the central area with rubble. The present land owner recalls an ornate carved fire place within the E gable which may remain in part under the rubble. He also recalls several muskets having been found in the immediate vicinity of the building during ploughing in his father's time.

Local tradition holds that this building was a royal hunting lodge. The scale of construction of the building, and its relatively small and simple plan may lend weight to this tradition.

The building is identified as a ruin on two early 19th century maps of Linlithgowshire (Forrest, W, 1818 and J. Thomson and Co., 1820). It is also depicted as an unroofed ruin on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1856-64-5, sheet 4).

The area to be scheduled is a rectangle 24m ENE-WSW by 13m transversely, to include the building and an area of ground extending 3m out from its outer walls on all sides, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the remains of a well-preserved and apparently high status building which has the potential to contribute to our understanding of late- or post-medieval settlement, economy and high status leisure activities.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

The monument is recorded by RCAHMS as NS97SW48.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.