Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Torphichen Bridge, mill, lade & trackway 200m north east of

A Scheduled Monument in Armadale and Blackridge, West Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9443 / 55°56'39"N

Longitude: -3.6715 / 3°40'17"W

OS Eastings: 295700

OS Northings: 673628

OS Grid: NS957736

Mapcode National: GBR 1P.YH3Y

Mapcode Global: WH5R7.KVVC

Entry Name: Torphichen Bridge, mill, lade & trackway 200m NE of

Scheduled Date: 27 January 2005

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM11253

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: mill (domestic / small-scale)

Location: Torphichen

County: West Lothian

Electoral Ward: Armadale and Blackridge

Traditional County: West Lothian

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a post-medieval mill, lade and trackway.

The mill building, measuring 17m N-S by 4m E-W and visible as an upstanding ruin, is located on a level platform on the S bank of the River Avon at c 85m OD. The S gable end stands almost to full height, although much of the rest of the building has been reduced to foundation level. The remains of an outshot, measuring c. 11m E-W by 6m N-S, with a rounded end on the E side, can be traced at ground level on the E side of the mill building. The route of the lade and access trackway can be traced from the S end of the mill through woodland on the higher slopes of the river bank.

The site is also the reported location of the cottage where Henry Bell, builder of the prototype steamboat 'The Comet' was born in 1767. A commemorative plaque to Henry Bell has been placed on the S side of the S gable of the mill building.

The mill, and a second unroofed building are annoted Ruins on the 1st edition OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1856, sheet 5). Both buildings are also present on an 1818 map of Linlithgowshire drawn by William Forrest (1799-1832), labelled 'Old Mill'. Roy's Military Survey of Scotland (1747-55) confirm this to be the location of 'Torphichen Mill' (sheet 6/6).

The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan, with maximum dimensions170m NW-SE by 50m NE-SW, to include the mill, associated features and an area around in which evidence relating to their construction and use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of post-medieval milling. It is of particular importance because of the survival of significant parts of the water management system, and because of the association with Henry Bell.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

The monument is recorded by RCAHMS as NS97SE60.

References:

Anderson W 1842, THE POPULAR SCOTTISH BIOGRAPHY: BEING LIVES OF EMINENT NATIVES OF SCOTLAND BROUGHT DOWN TO THE PRESENT TIME FROM THE MOST AUTHENTIC SOURCES, Edinburgh, 71-2.

NSA 1845, THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND BY THE MINISTERS OF THE RESPECTIVE PARISHES UNDER THE SUPERINTENDENTS OF A COMMITTEE OF THE SOCIETY FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF THE CLERGY, 15v, Edinburgh, Vol. 2 (Linlithgow), 46.

Roy W 1744-1755, Military Survey of Scotland, sheet 6/6.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.