Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Torphichen Preceptory

A Scheduled Monument in Armadale and Blackridge, West Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9348 / 55°56'5"N

Longitude: -3.6521 / 3°39'7"W

OS Eastings: 296886

OS Northings: 672533

OS Grid: NS968725

Mapcode National: GBR 1Q.Z1GV

Mapcode Global: WH5RF.W325

Entry Name: Torphichen Preceptory

Scheduled Date: 31 December 1921

Last Amended: 31 January 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM90305

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: preceptory

Location: Torphichen

County: West Lothian

Electoral Ward: Armadale and Blackridge

Traditional County: West Lothian

Description

The monument consists of the remains of Torphichen Preceptory, first founded in the 12th century by the Knights Hospitallers (or the Knights of St. John) on lands granted to them by David I (1124-53). The remains include the N and S transepts and the crossing surmounted by a belltower, all of which still stand, together with the foundations of a domestic cloister to the N, and the remains of the choir to the E. The remains are of 12th century foundation with major additions constructed in the 14th and 15th centuries.

The standing remains consist of a two storey building containing the N and S transepts and the crossing surmounted by the belltower and upper chambers reached by way of a turnpike stair to the right of the wall blocking off the nave. The original nave of the church was dismantled and a new church (Torphichen Parish Church) was built in 1756 in its place. Part of the nave of the original building is incorporated within the Parish Church but is not included in the scheduling. The dividing wall between the two contains an archway (now blocked in and not in its original place) which is one of the earliest parts of the Preceptory together with pieces of stonework associated with earlier phases. The archaeological remains consist of the foundations of the cloister ranges of the Preceptory which lie to the N of the church and an area to the E which includes the foundations of the choir.

What still stands of the Preceptory itself, the N and S transepts and the crossing and the belltower and an area to the N of this building containing the cloister ranges have been in the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland since 1927.

The area to be scheduled is to include that which is already in guardianship together with a further area to the E which contains the foundations of the choir. Within the area to be scheduled the following are to be excluded: the Custodian's Hut and existing information boards and stone plinths, the burial aisle backing onto the boundary wall immediately to the E of the Preceptory at the end of the choir, all grave slabs which are within the original choir and all lairs for which burial rites exist at the date of scheduling. The area to be scheduled is irregular in shape and has maximum dimensions of 50m N-S by 87m E-W, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our broader understanding of medieval ecclesiastical architecture and practice. More particularly this Preceptory was the only house of the Knights Hospitallers or Knights of St. John founded in Scotland and as such holds an important place in their history and also in the history of the surrounding area.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

The monument is listed in the RCAHMS as NS 97 SE 7.

Bibliography:

Hay, G. (1957)The Architect of post'Reformation Churches, 1560'1843.

MacGibbon & Ross (1887-920) Castellated and Domestic Architecture Vol. V, 131'40.

MacGibbon & Ross (1896-7) Ecclesiastical Architecture Vol. III, 139.

Mackay, H. P. R. (1966'67), Torphichen Preceptory: a footnote to the published description, Proc. Soc. Antiq. Scot., Vol. 99, 167'72.

McCall, H. B.(1894) The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Mid'Calder.

National Statistical Account(1957), Vol. II(Linlithgowshire), 469'70.

RCAHMS(1929), Midlothian & West Lothian, No. 379, 234'7.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Torphichen Preceptory
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/torphichen-preceptory
Find out more

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.