Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haywood, deserted mining village

A Scheduled Monument in Clydesdale North, South Lanarkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7744 / 55°46'27"N

Longitude: -3.6363 / 3°38'10"W

OS Eastings: 297454

OS Northings: 654659

OS Grid: NS974546

Mapcode National: GBR 311N.KW

Mapcode Global: WH5S7.34P4

Entry Name: Haywood, deserted mining village

Scheduled Date: 26 November 2001

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM9684

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: coal

Location: Carnwath

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Clydesdale North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of the deserted colliery village of Haywood, dating from the mid nineteenth century.

The monument is situated in rough pasture at between 255-265m O.D. on the N end of a ridge to the S of the Wilsontown Branch of the Caledonian Railway. It consists of a number of rows of miner's houses, a hotel and public house, a village hall, a Post Office, a Police Station and other ancillary buildings, centred at NS 974 546, visible as upstanding remains and low earthworks.

The areas proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to be found. The area is irregular in plan with maximum dimensions of 360m N-S by 320m E-W, as marked in red on the accompanying map extract. The cottage and associated land at Pentland View has been excluded from the scheduling.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the remains of a now deserted 19th century colliery village, which has the potential to provide important information regarding contemporary social life. It represents an important and rare example of community development associated with the Lanarkshire coalfields which came to dominate the Scottish coal industry in the 19th century. The importance of the site is increased by its group value, by its rarity and by its historical significance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS 95 SE 31.00 and NS 95 SE 31.02.

Aerial Photographs used:

RCAHMS (1995) C41145.

RCAHMS (1995) C41150.

Bibliography:

Giles, A. (comp)(1912) The county directory of Scotland containing the postal addresses of mansions, farms and other rural residences in Scotland, their occupants'.., Edinburgh, 1136.

Groome, F. H. (ed.) (1882-5) Ordnance gazetteer of Scotland: a survey of Scottish topography, statistical, biographical and historical, 6v, Edinburgh.

ONB, Ordnance Name Book (Lanarkshire) Book no. 12, 27.

RCAHMS (1998) Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Forts, Farms and Furnaces. Archaeology in the Central Scotland Forest.' Edinburgh.

TSA (1960) The third statistical account of Scotland: the county of Lanark, Thomson, G. (ed.), Glasgow, 554.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.