Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 12, 190m west of Kinaldie Station

A Scheduled Monument in Dyce/Bucksburn/Danestone, Aberdeen City

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2288 / 57°13'43"N

Longitude: -2.2858 / 2°17'8"W

OS Eastings: 382841

OS Northings: 815376

OS Grid: NJ828153

Mapcode National: GBR XD.RCBB

Mapcode Global: WH8P3.VKPP

Entry Name: Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 12, 190m W of Kinaldie Station

Scheduled Date: 28 February 2000

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8455

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Kinellar

County: Aberdeen City

Electoral Ward: Dyce/Bucksburn/Danestone

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises milestone 12 of the Aberdeenshire Canal Navigation, or Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal.

This canal ran from Port Elphinstone, just S of Inverurie, to Aberdeen harbour, following a course 18.25 miles (29km) in length above the right-hand bank of the River Don. The Act of Parliament that sanctioned its construction in 1796 declared its purpose as being to 'promote the improvement and better cultivation of the inland parts of the country'.

Construction was carried out by various contractors, with John Rennie as consulting engineer and George Fletcher as resident engineer. The canal opened in 1805. It operated until 1854, when it was replaced by the Aberdeen to Inverness line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, which was built along roughly the same alignment, obliterating much of its course.

Milestone 12 is now built into the N face of a stone dyke bordering the N side of a track beside the railway, 190m W of the site of the former Kinaldie Station. It appears that the railway follows the line of the canal at this point, with the track probably corresponding to the line of the tow-path on the N side of it. Although no longer in situ, the stone may therefore be quite close to its original position.

The stone consists of a granite column, some 0.33m in diameter, protruding 0.37m from the dyke. The top is rounded, with the number '12' inscribed on a round sloping panel. The monument to be scheduled comprises the milestone itself, in the position indicated in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing one of only a small number of surviving elements of what was at one time a significant economic artery, serving the agricultural hinterland of the city of Aberdeen. Its importance is further enhanced by the documentary evidence that also exists relating to the legal and commercial history of the canal during its period of use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Bibliography:

Eadem, (1964) Journal of Transport History, 6.3

Graham, A. (1967-8) Two Aberdeenshire Canals, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 179-78.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland (Newton Abbot), 99-112.

Milne, J. (1911) Aberdeen.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.