Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 12 1/2, at Kirkton

A Scheduled Monument in East Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2212 / 57°13'16"N

Longitude: -2.2951 / 2°17'42"W

OS Eastings: 382280

OS Northings: 814537

OS Grid: NJ822145

Mapcode National: GBR XD.RP7N

Mapcode Global: WH8P3.QR9H

Entry Name: Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 12 1/2, at Kirkton

Scheduled Date: 8 November 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8454

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Kinellar

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: East Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises milestone 12 1/2 of the Aberdeenshire Canal Navigation, or Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal.

This canal ran from Port Elphinstone, just S of Inverurie, to Aberdeen harbour, following a course 18.25 miles (29km) in length above the right-hand bank of the River Don. The Act of Parliament that sanctioned its construction in 1796 declared its purpose as being to 'promote the improvement and better cultivation of the inland parts of the country'.

Construction was carried out by various contractors, with George Fletcher as resident engineer and John Rennie as consultant. The canal opened in 1805. It operated until 1854, when it was replaced by the Aberdeen to Inverness line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, which was built along roughly the same alignment, obliterating much of the canal's course.

The milestone would originally have stood on the towpath beside the canal in a position corresponding roughly to NJ820154. It was moved to the garden of Kirkton by the father of the present occupant of the house, Mr Iain Campbell. The stone now stands in a rockery, some 8m W of the house. It consists of a granite column, some 0.5m high and 0.34 in diameter, with an irregular base. The top is rounded, with the number '12 1/2' inscribed on a round sloping panel.

The monument to be scheduled comprises the milestone itself, in the position indicated in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing one of only a small number of surviving elements of what was at one time a significant economic artery, serving the agricultural hinterland of the city of Aberdeen. Its importance is further enhanced by the documentary evidence that also exists relating to the legal and commercial history of the canal during its period in use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Bibliography:

Eadem, (1964) Journal of Transport History, 6.3

Graham, A. (1967-8) Two Aberdeenshire Canals, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 179-78.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland (Newton Abbot), 99-112.

Milne, J. (1911) Aberdeen.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.