Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 15 at Bridgend House, Kintore

A Scheduled Monument in East Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2413 / 57°14'28"N

Longitude: -2.3508 / 2°21'3"W

OS Eastings: 378923

OS Northings: 816783

OS Grid: NJ789167

Mapcode National: GBR XB.6GDF

Mapcode Global: WH8P2.V8Q3

Entry Name: Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 15 at Bridgend House, Kintore

Scheduled Date: 16 April 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7676

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Kintore

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: East Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises milestone 15 of the Aberdeenshire Canal Navigation, or Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal. It is a rounded column, 0.30m in diameter and 0.5m high, with a rounded top on which the mileage is inscribed on a sloping circular panel.

This canal ran from Port Elphinstone, just south of Inverurie, to Aberdeen harbour, following a course 18.25 miles (29km) in length above the right-hand bank of the River Don. The Act of Parliament that sanctioned its construction in 1796 declared its purpose as being to 'promote the improvement and better cultivation of the inland parts of the country'.

Construction was carried out by various contractors, with John Rennie as consulting engineer and George Fletcher as resident engineer. The canal opened in 1805. It operated until 1854, when it was replaced by the Aberdeen to Inverness line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, which was built along roughly the same alignment, obliterating much of its course.

Although the milestone is no longer in its original position beside the canal, it seems unlikely that it has been moved more than 500m at most. It now stands within the north angle of the front garden of Bridgend House, on the northern outskirts of Kintore. The monument to be scheduled comprises the milestone itself, in the position as indicated in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing one of only a handful of surviving elements (including at least two other milestones, in or near their original positions) of what was at one time significant economy artery, serving the agricultural hinterland of the city of Aberdeen. Its importance is further enhanced by the documentary evidence that also exists regarding the legal and commercial history of the canal during its period of use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ 71 NE 103.03.

Bibliography:

Lindsay, J., The Canals of Scotland (Newton Abbot 1968) 99-112.

Eaden, (1964) Journal of Transport History, 6.3.

Graham, A. (1967-8) 'Two Canals in Aberdeenshire', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol. 100, 170-78.

Milne, J. (1911) 252f., 264f., 344f., 390f.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.