Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 14 1/2 at Canal Cottage, Kintore

A Scheduled Monument in East Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.2351 / 57°14'6"N

Longitude: -2.3454 / 2°20'43"W

OS Eastings: 379247

OS Northings: 816096

OS Grid: NJ792160

Mapcode National: GBR XB.6X86

Mapcode Global: WH8P2.YD9V

Entry Name: Aberdeenshire Canal, milestone 14 1/2 at Canal Cottage, Kintore

Scheduled Date: 30 March 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7677

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Kintore

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: East Garioch

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument comprises milestone 14 1/2 of the Aberdeenshire Canal Navigation, or Aberdeen-Inverurie Canal. It is a round column, 0.30m in diameter and 0.5m high, with a rounded top on which the mileage is inscribed on a sloping circular panel.

The canal ran from Port Elphinstone, just south of Inverurie, to Aberdeen harbour, following a course 18.25 miles (29km) in length above the right-hand bank of the River Don. The Act of Parliament that sanctioned its construction in 1796 declared its purpose as being to 'promote the improvement and better cultivation of the inland parts of the country'.

Construction was carried out by various contractors, with John Rennie as consulting engineer and George Fletcher as resident engineer. The canal opened in 1805. It operated until 1854, when it was replaced by the Aberdeen to Inverness line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, which was built along roughly the same alignment, obliterating much of its course.

The milestone stands at or very near to its original position beside the canal, which formerly crossed the line of School Road (A96) in an east-west direction at or close to this point. At present it is incorporated into the foundation and lower courses of the SE garden wall of Canal Cottage (recently re-named Arden Lea), about 1m from the junction with the NE wall. The monument to be scheduled comprises the milestone itself and an area extending 1m around it, in the position indicated in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as representing one of only a handful of surviving elements (including at least two other milestones, in or near their original positions) of what was at one time a significant artery, serving the agricultural hinterland of the city of Aberdeen. Its importance is further enhanced by the documentary evidence that also exists regarding the legal and commercial history of the canal during its period of use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Bibliography:

Lindsay, J., The Canals of Scotland (Newton Abbot 1968) 99-112.

Eaden, (1964) Journal of Transport History, 6.3.

Graham, A. (1967-8) Two Aberdeenshire Canals, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 100, 170-78.

Milne, J. (1911) 252f., 264f., 344f., 390f.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.