Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ogle Hill,fort

A Scheduled Monument in Strathallan, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2846 / 56°17'4"N

Longitude: -3.6664 / 3°39'58"W

OS Eastings: 296938

OS Northings: 711488

OS Grid: NN969114

Mapcode National: GBR 1P.848W

Mapcode Global: WH5PP.N9BG

Entry Name: Ogle Hill,fort

Scheduled Date: 3 December 1971

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM3073

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: fort (includes hill and promontory fort)

Location: Auchterarder

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathallan

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

Alexander Thomson, 1863. Commercial building extended in 1864 in similar style to S, in Dunlop Street W only 3 bays remaining. 4-storey and attic, fine essay in wood-encased, masonry-concealed cast-iron framing, with Egyptian details. Painted ashlar. Modern shop fronts at

ground with frieze and 1st floor cill course.

1863 DESIGN: 10 bays with curved corner. Pilastered windows with Anthemion detail at 1st floor with chip carving to lintels. Applied, tapering cast-iron columns with wing-like capitals between 1st and 2nd floors. Decorative cast-iron balcony jettied at 3rd floor. 3rd floor windows divided by stone pillars with tapered necks, chip-carved and with capitals. Frieze with discs and cornice. Parapet with square finialled dies, divided by decorative cast-iron railings. Ashlar panel at angle inscribed "Buck's Head Buildings" and crowned by a buck couchant statue. Gabled dormer windows to each bay, set back between dies.

1864 EXTENSION: further 3-bays to Dunlop Street (remnant of warehouse), slightly advanced. Detailed as above, but with giant pilastrade between 1st and 2nd floors, with anthemion necking (no applied columns), and Greek-key chip-carving in frieze to 2nd floor (no balcony). 3rd floor windows narrower than those above and with broad, chip-carved pilasters dividing and paired capitals to each. Casement windows to 2nd and 3rd floors and top hoppers at 1st floor.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

McFadzean 1979, pp.122-5. Gomme and Walker 1987, pp.145-52.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.