Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kilmahew Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Helensburgh and Lomond South, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9726 / 55°58'21"N

Longitude: -4.6428 / 4°38'34"W

OS Eastings: 235171

OS Northings: 678666

OS Grid: NS351786

Mapcode National: GBR 0J.WLZD

Mapcode Global: WH2MC.N4BN

Entry Name: Kilmahew Castle

Scheduled Date: 31 July 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5404

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Cardross

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Helensburgh and Lomond South

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a keep of the period 1542 to 1700.

The castle which was the seat of the Napiers, is located on the W side of the Kilmahew Burn. It is rectangular on plan measuring 14.1m N-S by 7.7m E-W over walls 1.2m thick and c.11m high. The castle was considerably altered in the 19th century with a view to utilising it as a modern mansion but this work was never completed. The S and W walls have been rebuilt and the fireplace and recesses in the E wall appear to have been a product of this period. The entrance doorway at the SW angle was also added. Few of the original features survive. The original entrance is in the NW wall, directly above it are two projecting corbels in the parapet. These probably carried a battlement to protect the door. Some smaller corbels are preserved on the parapet. The staircase probably ascended from the NW angle, while a passage in the W wall would have given access to the kitchen and cellars on the ground floor. The kitchen fireplace survives in the North end. The original masonry is random coursed rubble with freestone quoins, the 19th-century alterations use thinly coursed stone.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular and measures a maximum of 20m E-W by 30m N-S, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because although it has been considerably altered it still preserves original architectural details. It may provide evidence for domestic and defensive occupation and as such may contribute to our understanding of Scottish medieval life and society.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS37NE 1.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.