Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corston Tower,towerhouse and dovecot

A Scheduled Monument in Howe of Fife and Tay Coast, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.274 / 56°16'26"N

Longitude: -3.2826 / 3°16'57"W

OS Eastings: 320674

OS Northings: 709797

OS Grid: NO206097

Mapcode National: GBR 25.8LHZ

Mapcode Global: WH6R0.KK2M

Entry Name: Corston Tower,towerhouse and dovecot

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5616

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: tower

Location: Strathmiglo

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast

Traditional County: Fife

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a 16th century towerhouse known as Corston Tower.

The tower, originally rectangular, is situated in a cultivated field 600m W of Strathmiglo. In the 16th century the lands of Corston belonged to John Ramsay, a descendant of the house of Carnock. Corston came into the possession of the Colquoun family circa 1669. The building partially collapsed in 1887, leaving only the NE wall standing. This portion measures 8.1m in length, is 1.3m thick and about 9m high. Surviving footings suggest a ground plan measuring

8.1m NW-SE by 7.7m NE-SW.

Corston had a vaulted basement, two upper storeys and an attic. Joist holes for ceiling beams can be seen in the remaining wall. The masonry is pink sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Lord Bute acquired the tower in 1888 when repairs were carried out including securing the walls with iron brackets; and rebuilding the lower portions of the NW and SE walls. The foundations of outbuildings connected with the castle were apparent in the late 19th century; with a kitchen at the SW corner.

The garden, including a dovecot, extended for "three quarters of a Scotch acre" and lay to the SE. These features are no longer visible above ground. The area to be scheduled is rectangular, measuring a maximum of 65m E-W by 90m N-S, to include the tower and a surrounding area in which further associated features are likely to survive, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as a good example of a defensive towerhouse dating from the 16th century. As such it provides material evidence which has the potential, through excavation, to shed light on the social organisation and material culture of the stronghold's previous inhabitants. The importance of the towerhouse is enhanced by the survival of the remains of ancillary buildings.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NO20NW 1.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.