Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bride's Church,Cushnie

A Scheduled Monument in Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford, Aberdeenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.1859 / 57°11'9"N

Longitude: -2.8183 / 2°49'6"W

OS Eastings: 350633

OS Northings: 810862

OS Grid: NJ506108

Mapcode National: GBR WP.1CM7

Mapcode Global: WH7MX.PN42

Entry Name: St Bride's Church,Cushnie

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5620

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church

Location: Leochel-Cushnie

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Huntly, Strathbogie and Howe of Alford

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of St Bride's, the old parish church of Cushnie.

The parish existed as early as 1274-80. The church remained unappropriated within the patronage of the Earls of Rothes until the 16th century. The church is situated in a rubble walled graveyard immediately N of Kirkton of Cushnie Farm. It is of medieval date, single chambered, measuring 20m E-W by 6m N-S, over walls 0.7m thick. The walls are constructed in rubble with dressed quoins.

The E gable is intact and has a belfry but this feature is completely obscured by ivy. The only window in this wall is a small rectangular one at a high level in the gable. The W gable has fallen and is 1.9m in height. The intervening walls appear to have been repaired, they are entire though slightly reduced in height. The S entrance near the E end has lost its lintel. A 17th or 18th century gravestone has been built into the S exterior wall. Tombstones of 18th century date are propped up against the E wall.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular, extending 2m from the exterior walls of the church and measuring a maximum of 24m E-W by 10m N-S, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is one of a large group of relatively simple parish churches dating from the Medieval period, which together provide evidence and have the potential to provide further evidence, through a combination of documentary research and archaeological excavation, for parish evolution, ecclesiastical architecture and material culture.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NJ51SW 2.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.