Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Michael's Church,Kirkton

A Scheduled Monument in Black Isle, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.6639 / 57°39'50"N

Longitude: -4.1709 / 4°10'15"W

OS Eastings: 270587

OS Northings: 865856

OS Grid: NH705658

Mapcode National: GBR J82G.N5K

Mapcode Global: WH4FJ.XM1M

Entry Name: St Michael's Church,Kirkton

Scheduled Date: 9 October 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5419

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: church; Secular: mausoleum

Location: Resolis

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Black Isle

Traditional County: Ross-shire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of the former parish church of Kirkmichael. It was superseded in 1662 when the parish of Resolis was created.

The rectangular, rubble-coursed structure is situated in a walled burial ground close to the Cromarty Firth. The central portion of the building was rebuilt and re-roofed in the 19th century and used as a mausoleum for the Munros of Poyntzfield. The church measures 16.9m E-W by 7.2m N-S overall with walls approximately 0.7m thick. The roofed portion measures 7.1m square and contains a round-headed entrance in the W gable; the chancel measures 5.8m by 5.4m and incorporates a double-light late gothic window in the gable, twin lancets in the S wall and a square-headed entrance; extending 4m W from the NW angle of the mausoleum is a portion of poorly bonded, rubble masonry, 1m high and 1m wide. The interior side contains the remains of a moulded arch, this fragment is probably part of the original N wall of the church and may have been part of an arch-tomb of 16th-century date. A low section of rubble wall aligned with the w wall of the mausoleum may mark the W end of an earlier building. It is 7.2m N-S, 13.5 from the SW angle of the mausoleum and is 1.2m thick at its widest point.

The area to be scheduled is rectangular, measuring a maximum of 34.4m E-W by 11.2m N-S, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, although it has been much altered by later work, it retains features consistent with a church of late Medieval origin and as such is of architectural value as an ecclesiastical building. In addition it provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence, through excavation, for parish organisation, settlement evolution, burial practices and material culture during the period of its construction and use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NH76NW 1.

Canmore

https://canmore.org.uk/site/14486/

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.