Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fee Donald Lead Mine,Allt Feith Dhomhnuill, Sunart

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 56.7405 / 56°44'25"N

Longitude: -5.5005 / 5°30'1"W

OS Eastings: 186017

OS Northings: 766454

OS Grid: NM860664

Mapcode National: GBR DBSX.588

Mapcode Global: WH0DT.GVX1

Entry Name: Fee Donald Lead Mine,Allt Feith Dhomhnuill, Sunart

Scheduled Date: 17 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5623

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: mines, quarries

Location: Ardnamurchan

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire


The monument comprises the underground workings and associated surface remains of an abandoned lead mine.

The underground workings consist of abandoned shafts and levels and open-cast grooves. The associated surface remains include (a) masonry buildings, and (b) a large processing area, including water-wheel pit, ore crushing and dressing floors, spoil-heaps and washing floors.

The area to be scheduled is irregular in shape but is approximately 900m by 450m at its widest points, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is one of only two well-preserved lead workings in this once extensive and important lead-mining area near Strontian. The Strontian mines achieved 'celebrity' status in 1791 with the identification of stronia (strontium monoxide) in the local mineral Strontianite.

The Fee Donald mine was among the first to be opened, in 1727. The lead-bearing deposits were worked intermittently thereafter until final closure in 1871. The excellent survival of the underground workings in their abandonned state and the existence of the large and complex area of surface workings (albeit largely from the last phase of mining activity) combine to make this a particularly important example for future study.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland



RCAHMS records the monument as NM86NE 1.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.