Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Keil,church,Duror of Appin

A Scheduled Monument in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6322 / 56°37'55"N

Longitude: -5.3085 / 5°18'30"W

OS Eastings: 197172

OS Northings: 753821

OS Grid: NM971538

Mapcode National: GBR FC85.WQZ

Mapcode Global: WH1GM.FKCK

Entry Name: Keil,church,Duror of Appin

Scheduled Date: 4 May 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5680

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Lismore and Appin

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a late medieval church and its burial ground situated immediately to the SW of Keil House.

The earliest reference to this church occurs in 1354 when the lands of the churches of Durobwar (Duror) and Glencown (Glencoe) were quit- claimed by John of Lorn to John of Islay. The church, dedicated to St Columba, appears to have fallen out of use at some time after 1630 when a topographical account suggests that the church was still in

use.

The rectangular-plan church measures 12.4m E-W by 5.5m N-S

within walls 0.8-0.9m in thickness. The original masonry is composed of random-coursed local rubble masonry well bonded with pinnings, the quoins and margins being formed of shaped blocks and slabs of the same material. The walls stand almost to their full height but much of the visible masonry is the result of modern repairs. Most patching has occurred in the gable heads and the N and S walls.

The present opening in the W end of the N wall is likely to occupy the position of the original entrance. An upper level, square-headed window pierces the W gable and two opposed slab-lintelled windows survive in the E end. Both gables are intaken internally above wall-head level. There are two small aumbries in the E end of the building.

Opposed socket holes in the N and S walls appear to have held a beam running across the interior of the E gable.

The area to be scheduled is that enclosed by the cemetry wall, but excluding that wall itself, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is an ecclesiastical building, although much repaired, retaining original features characteristic of a large group of parish churches built throughout Scotland during the medieval period. In addition it is likely to overlie an earlier building documented in the twelfth century. As such, the building provides evidence and is likely to be able to provide evidence, through a combination of historical research and excavation, for religious architecture, parish evolution, and material culture in Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NM 95 SE 2.

References:

RCAHMS 1975, Inventory Lorn, No. 250, 139.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.