Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dron Chapel

A Scheduled Monument in Carse of Gowrie, Perth and Kinross

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4784 / 56°28'42"N

Longitude: -3.1453 / 3°8'43"W

OS Eastings: 329550

OS Northings: 732402

OS Grid: NO295324

Mapcode National: GBR VF.BZ58

Mapcode Global: WH6Q3.NFFD

Entry Name: Dron Chapel

Scheduled Date: 8 February 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5592

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: cathedral

Location: Longforgan

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of the late fifteenth/early sixteenth-century chapel of Dron which belonged to the Abbey of Coupar.

The chapel is situated on waste ground between Dron cottages and the Dron Burn. All that remains of the rubble masonry chapel is part of the chancel, consisting of a portion of the E gable with adjoining N wall and a pointed chancel arch with ashlar piers, the jambs and mouldings of which have a simple character.

The apex of the arch is approximately 5m and the span is 3.5m. The chancel measures 7.2m N-S by 8.53m E-W over walls 0.8m thick. The wall of the chancel arch projects N beyond the E angle, suggesting that the building may have had a transept. Apparently there was once a churchyard associated with the chapel but no visible evidence of this survives.

The portion to the N has been been absorbed into a neighbouring farm and is now under pasture. The area to be scheduled is irregular, measuring a maximum of 45m E-W by 40m N-S, as shown in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as an example, although fragmentary, of an ambitious pre-Reformation chapel of late Gothic design. As part of a large group of similar buildings sharing a common function the monument provides evidence and has the potential to provide further evidence, through excavation and analysis, which may contribute to our understanding of religious architecture, particularly the evolution of style, regional variations, technical development and innovation, and how building design reflects liturgical practice.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NO 23 SE 1.

The monument is listed category B

Reference:

MacGibbon, D. and Ross, T. (1897) 'The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland', Vol. 3, 497-9, Edinburgh.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.