Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rossdhu Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Lomond North, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0704 / 56°4'13"N

Longitude: -4.6348 / 4°38'5"W

OS Eastings: 236088

OS Northings: 689526

OS Grid: NS360895

Mapcode National: GBR 0J.PGRX

Mapcode Global: WH2LS.SP47

Entry Name: Rossdhu Castle

Scheduled Date: 13 April 1992

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM5271

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Luss

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Lomond North

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a sixteenth century tower situated on the SW bank of Loch Lomond.

The castle was the chief residence of the Colquhouns of Luss until 1773. All that remains of the building is the S wall and the adjoining portions of the E and W walls. The other walls were demolished in the early 19th century, the stone being used to build an extension to the 18th-century house of Rossdhu. The medieval keep has had at least four stories with a vaulted ground floor. The walls are made of random coursed roughly squared rubble. The building is

c.12m high. The S wall measures 10.3m externally and is 2.25m thick. The E and W walls extend for 1.4m and 2m respectively and are 2.6m thick. There is a round-headed entrance with chamfered jambs in the S wall, above which is a rectangular opening. On the first floor is remains of a fireplace which has been modified to make it smaller.

There is a blocked window in the W portion of the upper wall. At one time the castle had a gabled building attached to its S wall. There is a section of walling from this later structure extending from the SW corner.

The area to be scheduled is a square with sides measuring 35m, to include the upstanding remains of the castle and an area to the N potentially containing archaeological evidence which may clarify its ground plan, as shown in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is a medieval castle which was owned by one of Scotland's leading families and documented from 1541. Its below ground remains preserve archaeological evidence which has the potential to shed light on domestic planning, material culture, and society of the period in which it was built and in use. In addition, its importance is enhanced by its relation to the family chapel of Rossdhu.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS38NE 2.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.