Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Lochnaw Castle, Isle of Lochnaw

A Scheduled Monument in Stranraer and the Rhins, Dumfries and Galloway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9232 / 54°55'23"N

Longitude: -5.1332 / 5°7'59"W

OS Eastings: 199319

OS Northings: 563213

OS Grid: NW993632

Mapcode National: GBR FHPP.RJ0

Mapcode Global: WH1R1.3JX5

Entry Name: Old Lochnaw Castle, Isle of Lochnaw

Scheduled Date: 9 October 1995

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6232

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Leswalt

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Stranraer and the Rhins

Traditional County: Wigtownshire

Description

This monument comprises the remains of a tower built before 1363 and abandoned after being captured by Archibald the Grim in 1390. It sits on the highest point of a small island in Lochnaw Loch. The loch was drained in the late 17th century and used as pasture until being reflooded in the early 19th century.

The visible remains consist of a single wall over 3m high and 8m long, running SW to NE, which shows the start of a barrel vault to the SE. The wall also has a small aumbry and the traces of a window slit. At the SW end of the wall there is fragment of a return heading SE for about 2m. There is a decayed dry stone wall which goes around the island: this is probably associated with the farming activites of the eighteenth century. However it appears to overlie the footings of an older wall which may relate to the tower.

The area to be scheduled includes the entire island which measures roughly 120m SE to NW by up to 25m across. It also includes an area presently under water, extending 10m out around the island, all as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because it is a 14th century tower on a site which has seen only very light re-use since the 15th century. For that reason, even though little remains standing, the archaeology is likely to be well preserved due to minimal ground disturbance.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NW96SE 4.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.