Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Plean Farm,ring ditch 800m south east of

A Scheduled Monument in Bannockburn, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0674 / 56°4'2"N

Longitude: -3.8743 / 3°52'27"W

OS Eastings: 283407

OS Northings: 687651

OS Grid: NS834876

Mapcode National: GBR 1F.PRLD

Mapcode Global: WH4PF.GR9H

Entry Name: Plean Farm,ring ditch 800m SE of

Scheduled Date: 7 October 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6481

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: house

Location: St Ninians

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Bannockburn

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Description

The building was designed by Alan Burgess Crombie in 1890, with additions and alterations by Wilfrid Fitzalan Crombie in 1909 and further alterations in 1967. It is a 2-storey, 3-bay former drill hall in the Scots Baronial style, approximately T-shaped in plan and is now a community hall (2015). The front part of the building is built of squared and snecked bullfaced red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings, while the hall is of dry-dashed rendered brick. The front elevation of the hall and offices is symmetrical with a string course at first floor level and an eaves course. The central bay has a round arched doorway with an oriel window above and a short, stumpy slated spire with an open iron crown. The slightly advanced outer bays terminate in crowstepped gables with square pyramid-roofed bartizans at the outer corners. There is a decorative cast iron framed shelter to the right with a glazed roof and to the left is a wide arched twin-leafed timber door set back from the main building line that gives direct access to the hall. The lions on either side of the door were sculpted by John William Dods of Dumfries.

There is mainly 4-pane glazing in the upper sashes and single pane glazing in the lower sashes in timber sash and case windows. There are grey slate roofs and chimney stacks with yellow clay cans on the front part of the building, and non-traditional roofing material on the drill hall.

The interior, which was seen in 2015, retains a good late 19th century decorative scheme. The office section has some simple cornices, timber panelled doors and a main staircase with decorative wrought iron balusters. The room above the main entrance has timber boarding to dado height. The hall has a shallow pitched roof supported on delicate wrought iron lattice trusses which are curved at the wallhead and with timber lining and roof lights running much of its length. There is a recessed raised area at the north end which is flanked by pilasters and a decorative plaster frieze above. The doors on either side surmounted by decorative mouldings enclosing panels.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of prehistoric settlement. Its importance is enhanced by the proximity of other sites, probably of similar date.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 208127

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1850, published 1852). Large scale town plan, sheet O4. 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1894). Large scale town plan sheet XLIX.15.22. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey

Printed Sources

Carlisle Patriot (28 November 1890) p.4.

Dundee Evening Telegraph (14 March 1890) p.2.

Gifford, J. (1996) The Buildings of Scotland: Dumfries and Galloway. London: Penguin Books Ltd. p.263.

Glasgow Herald (21 October 1891) p.9.

Historic Environment Scotland (2016) Scotland's Drill Halls Preliminary Report. Unpublished.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Alan Burgess Crombie at

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200343 [accessed 20/03/2016]

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. Wilfrid Fitzalan Crombie at

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200558 [accessed 20/03/2016] [accessed 20/03/2016]

Dumfries and Galloway Council. Report on the Loreburn Hall at http://egenda.dumgal.gov.uk/aksdumgal/images/att13434.pdf [accessed 20/03/2016]

[accessed 20/03/2016]

Grierson, J M (1909) Record of the Scottish Volunteer Force 1859-1908. Edinburgh and London: William Blackwood & Sons at https://archive.org/stream/recordsofscottis00grierich/recordsofscottis00grierich_djvu.txt [accessed 20/03/2016].

Canmore

https://canmore.org.uk/site/208127/

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.