Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forth and Clyde Canal: Bishopbriggs Golf Course

A Scheduled Monument in Bishopbriggs North and Campsie, East Dunbartonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9123 / 55°54'44"N

Longitude: -4.2484 / 4°14'54"W

OS Eastings: 259559

OS Northings: 671087

OS Grid: NS595710

Mapcode National: GBR 0M0.VB

Mapcode Global: WH3NW.QN4D

Entry Name: Forth and Clyde Canal: Bishopbriggs Golf Course

Scheduled Date: 22 April 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6772

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Glasgow

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Description

The monument comprises that length of inland waterway forming part of the Forth and Clyde Canal falling within the boundary of the civil parish of Glasgow and the boundary of Strathkelvin District.

The length of the monument is 1 1/4 miles (2 km) and runs from the western edge of Bishopbriggs Golf Course (on the west) to a point 750 m west of the Farm (or Balmuildy Road) Bridge (on the east). The monument includes the entire length in water together with the banks on either side and the towing path running along one side.

The monument does not include any modern fences or walls, but does include an area to either side of the area in water in which traces of activities associated with its construction or use may survive, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because, as an integral part of the Forth and Clyde Canal, it is a superlative example of Georgian civil engineering. It was the first of Scotland's great inland waterways to be constructed (between 1768 and 1790) and even at the time of its opening in the 1770s it was christened 'The Great Canal', a recognition of its undoubted national importance even then. The particular stretch of canal covered by this schedule was part of the original scheme, which terminated in the west at Stockingfield, in Glasgow. The engineer was John Smeaton.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

References:

Hume, J. (1976) The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland: The Lowlands and Borders.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.