Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Easter Coillechat, cairn 550m north of

A Scheduled Monument in Trossachs and Teith, Stirling

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2135 / 56°12'48"N

Longitude: -4.1166 / 4°6'59"W

OS Eastings: 268825

OS Northings: 704345

OS Grid: NN688043

Mapcode National: GBR 14.DK52

Mapcode Global: WH4NQ.Q2XY

Entry Name: Easter Coillechat, cairn 550m N of

Scheduled Date: 26 November 2003

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6985

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: cairn (type uncertain)

Location: Kilmadock

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

Song School designed by John Oldrid Scott 1881, built by Robert Rowand Anderson 1888-1892; with murals by Phoebe Anna Traquair, 1888 - 92. Walpole Hall, Lorimer and Matthew, 1933. Halls linked at SW corner by single storey corridor block (circa 1933). Later flat roofed single storey addition at E. Set on site adjacent to St Mary's Cathedral.

SONG SCHOOL: single storey rectangular-plan Scots Baronial church hall. Squared and snecked sandstone; low stone buttresses. Moulded string course, stepped to become cill course at windows. Crow stepped gables; twin gables breaking wallhead to N elevation; single gable to S. Steeply pitched roof and small louvered and slated fleche to centre. Prominent stone transomed and mullioned windows, with sandstone ashlar cills, lintels and rybats. INTERIOR: small entrance vestibule leading to large barrel-vaulted hall, library to S. Additional doorway to NE corner accessing small single storey block linking to Walpole Hall. MURALS: on the theme of the Benedictine, predominantly in red and blue. Choir and clergy, Pentecost and Christ's empty tomb. To E wall. Verses from the canticles and portraits of Traquair's contempories (D.G. Rossetti, W. Holman-Hunt, G.F. Watts) to S wall. Choristers and birds singing together and panel of eminent figures in history such as Dante and Blake to N. Four beasts and seraphs singing Sanctus to W.

WALPOLE HALL: single storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan hall. Squared and snecked sandstone. Corniced eaves course to E and W elevations. Low wallhead broken by tall shaped dormers. Additional lower curved gable to S elevation. Single storey porch to N gable with moulded surround and carved relief panel; oculus above with moulded keystoned surround. INTERIOR: small entrance vestibule to Chester Street leading to large barrel vaulted hall. Plain interior with timber floor and panelled timber dado. Raised stage to S, flanking doors with small glazed panels leading to further rooms to rear (S) of building; top lit corridor to left. Additional entrance to rear at right giving access to small single storey block linking to Song School and to exterior.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows throughout with large 9 over 15-pane windows to dormers at Walpole Hall. Steep pitched roofs; grey slates. Tall shaped and buttressed chimneystack with modern clay cans to S elevation of Song School. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of prehistoric ritual and funerary practices. It may be expected to contain funerary deposits and evidence relating to its mode of construction and use, and may also preserve evidence for contemporary landuse and environmental conditions.

The importance of this monument is further enhanced by its relationship to similar sites nearby: the cairn is one of a group of prehistoric ritual monuments in the Braes of Doune area which appear to have been constructed and used over a period of up to 2000 years.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1893 -94). J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 366; Youngson, The Making of Classical Edinburgh, (1988) p. 215; RCAHMS broadsheet 13, Miles Glendinning, Alison Darragh, St. Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh, A Short History and Guide, 2002; www.cathedral.net (accessed 13/5/2008); Country Life, Hubert Fenwick, Monumental but Not Romantic, 25.10.1979; Foskett, The Pictorial History of St. Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh 1814 -1964, 1959; J.A. Shaw, In the end the beginning: an account of St. Mary's Cathedral Edinburgh 1814 - 1964, 1964. The Builder, 2nd April 1892.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.