Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fintry Castle, remains of

A Scheduled Monument in Forth and Endrick, Stirling

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.051 / 56°3'3"N

Longitude: -4.1825 / 4°10'56"W

OS Eastings: 264168

OS Northings: 686390

OS Grid: NS641863

Mapcode National: GBR 12.QND0

Mapcode Global: WH4PG.Q5JJ

Entry Name: Fintry Castle, remains of

Scheduled Date: 13 October 1997

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM7085

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Fintry

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a castle of 15th-16th century and its outbuildings.

The monument lies in rough pasture at around 180m OD. The main body of the castle survives as a substantial mound of rubble in which occasional wall footings can be discerned.

These suggest an original oblong shape, some 20m E-W by 10m with the possible remains of a tower at the W end. Immediately to the S is a substantial linear rock-cut ditch which appears both to have provided stone for the castle building and to have provided additional defence.

To the N and E of the castle are numerous low wall footings, probably representing the original coutrtyard and outbuildings. Slighter traces extend even further to the E and include low foundations, possibly of a former mill, on either side of a small stream.

The castle appears not have been in use for well over 250 years, since by 1724 it was already referred to as the "old ruinous Tower of Fintrie".

The area to be scheduled encompasses the remains described above and an area around them in which traces of associated activity may be expected to survive. It is irregular in shape with maximum dimensions of 170m ENE-SSW by 90m as marked in red on the accompanying map.

The scheduling excludes above-ground parts of modern fence-lines and the above-ground remains of the sheepfold which lies on the E boundary of the scheduled area.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to our understanding of late medieval defensive structures. Of particular importance is the survival of outbuildings and the potential they contain to provide evidence for the castle's economy and social organisation.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS 68 NW 2.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.