Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Round 390m south west of Trethurffe

A Scheduled Monument in Ladock, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3175 / 50°19'3"N

Longitude: -4.9568 / 4°57'24"W

OS Eastings: 189597.828872

OS Northings: 50581.268856

OS Grid: SW895505

Mapcode National: GBR ZM.3362

Mapcode Global: FRA 08H6.BQ8

Entry Name: Round 390m south west of Trethurffe

Scheduled Date: 3 September 2002

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1020797

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32965

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Ladock

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Ladock

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

This scheduling includes a later prehistoric to Romano-British round, situated
on a slight north west slope above the Tresillian River, with a fairly steep
tributary valley on its north side, south of Ladock.
The round is sub-oval in plan, measuring approximately 60m east-west by 50m
north-south overall. It has a rampart of earth and stone, spread by ploughing,
forming a rounded bank up to 14m wide and 0.5m high. By analogy with similar
sites elsewhere, the round has an external ditch, now buried. Data from other
rounds indicates that the enclosing bank and ditch were each around 4m wide
before modification, so that the buried ditch is considered to lie beneath the
outer bank material. The interior of the round is slightly raised.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Rounds are small embanked enclosures, one of a range of settlement types
dating to between the later Iron Age and the early post-Roman period. Usually
circular or oval, they have a single earth and rubble bank and an outer ditch,
with one entrance breaking the circuit.
Excavations have produced drystone supporting walls within the bank, paved or
cobbled entrance ways, post built gate structures, and remains of timber, turf
or stone built houses of oval or rectangular plan, often set around the inner
edge of the enclosing bank. Other evidence includes hearths, drains, gullies,
pits and rubbish middens. Evidence for industrial activities has been
recovered from some sites, including small scale metal working and, among the
domestic debris, items traded from distant sources. Some rounds are associated
with secondary enclosures, either abutting the round as an annexe or forming
an additional enclosure.
Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of
farming hamlets. They were replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th
century AD. Over 750 rounds are recorded in the British Isles, occurring in
areas bordering the Irish Seas, but confined in England to south west Devon
and especially Cornwall, where many more examples may await discovery. Most
recorded examples are sited on hillslopes and spurs.
Rounds are important as one of the major sources of information on settlement
and social organisation of the Iron Age and Roman periods in south west
England. Consequently, sites with significant surviving remains will normally
be considered to be of national importance.

Despite modification of its enclosing bank and filling of its external
ditch, caused by ploughing in the past, the round 390m south west of
Trethurffe survives fairly well. The underlying old land surface, and
remains of any structures or other deposits associated with this and with
the upstanding earthworks and ditch, will also survive.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Milln, J, 'Cornish Archaeology' in Parochial Check-List of Antiquities, Parish of Ladock, , Vol. 14, (1975), 108
Other
Dyer, CA, Cornwall SMR, (1999)
MS at RIC library, Truro, Henderson, C, History of the Parish of Ladock, (1920)
Title: Ladock Tithe Apportionment
Source Date: 1840
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
628
Title: Ordnance Survey 1" drawing
Source Date: 1811
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.