Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 310m east of Pasture Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Dinton-with-Ford and Upton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7929 / 51°47'34"N

Longitude: -0.8798 / 0°52'47"W

OS Eastings: 477355.531757

OS Northings: 211063.752699

OS Grid: SP773110

Mapcode National: GBR C1Q.DDZ

Mapcode Global: VHDV9.P6RD

Entry Name: Moated site 310m east of Pasture Farm

Scheduled Date: 16 April 1999

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1018731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32119

County: Buckinghamshire

Civil Parish: Dinton-with-Ford and Upton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Stone with Dinton and Hartwell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Details

The monument includes a medieval moated site with an associated building
platform. It is sited approximately 310m east of Pasture Farm.

The moated site includes a roughly rectangular island measuring approximately
110m north east-south west by 90m north west-south east which is contained by
a ditch, or moat, measuring between 4m and 11m across and between 0.5m and 1m
deep. An inner bank is visible on the north east and north west sides of the
island measuring about 3m wide and 0.5m high. Linear features, some of which
are believed to represent internal property divisions, are shown on a 1996
Cambridge University aerial photograph. It is thought that one of these
divisions, visible on the ground as a shallow depression, may have been reused
as a fishpond. The fishpond, which measures about 20m long by 5m wide, is
situated in the middle of the island and is aligned north west-south east.
Other less well-defined earthworks on the island may represent either further
fishponds or the remains of structures and related settlement activity. The
island is approached by a modern bridge across the north eastern arm of the
moat.

Immediately north west of the moat and parallel with its north western arm is
a building platform which measures approximately 28m north west-south east by
20m north east-south west and about 1m high and is considered to represent an
ancillary structure related to the moated site: perhaps a stable, barn or
other building.

The 1803 Inclosure map of Dinton records the moated site as `Blooms Close' and
it is probable that the site represents the `Manor of Blomers', a small manor
`intermixed with Ford', which has belonged to the Hampdens, the Claytons, and
in 1813 was owned by the Earl of Chesterfield before becoming the property of
the lord of the manor of Dinton.

Traces of the contemporary system of medieval strip cultivation (ridge and
furrow) can still be detected in the vicinity of the moated site, but this is
not included in the scheduling.

The fences around the moat ditch, the sewage pipe installed across the south
side of the moat and the cattle trough on the island are excluded from the
scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 310m east of Pasture Farm survives well. Except for the sewage
pipe which runs north east-south west across the southern end, the island is
largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for any internal property
divisions, as well as structures and other features relating to the period of
occupation. The buried silts in the base of the ditch will contain both
artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental evidence for
the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set. Despite some
possible part infilling of the south east arm of the moat, the ditch survives
well.

Fishponds are artificially created pools of slow moving fresh water
constructed for the purpose of cultivating, breeding and storing fish in order
to provide a constant and sustainable food supply. The tradition of
constructing and using fishponds began in the medieval period and reached a
peak of popularity in the 12th century. They were largely the province of the
wealthier sectors of medieval society, and are considered important as a
source of information concerning the economy of various classes of medieval
settlements and institutions. Some of the depressions in the interior of the
moat island are likely to represent property divisions, and at least one is
thought to have been reutilised as a fishpond, and this would have formed an
integral part of the medieval settlement.

The monument lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous, and
its large size represents a variation from the more usual dimensions of moated
sites in the region. It is situated in close proximity to further moated
sites; one to the south of Beachendon Farm, Waddesdon, 2.2km to the north
west, and the other at Marsh, 4.5km to the south east. Comparisons between
these sites will provide valuable insights into the nature of settlement and
society in the medieval period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Buckinghamshire, (1969), 274
Other
Bucks Co Museum: A25/27/14, Cambridge University, (1996)
Bucks Co Musuem: A25/27/14, Cambridge University, (1996)
Title: Parish of Dinton Tithe Map
Source Date: 1848
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
Bucks Record Office Ref: 395a

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.