Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Civil War defences 270m and 300m west of Vale Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Coddington, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0775 / 53°4'38"N

Longitude: -0.7577 / 0°45'27"W

OS Eastings: 483315.914371

OS Northings: 354083.365603

OS Grid: SK833540

Mapcode National: GBR CLQ.181

Mapcode Global: WHFHJ.BXD3

Entry Name: Civil War defences 270m and 300m west of Vale Farm

Scheduled Date: 29 April 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1018485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30238

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Coddington

Built-Up Area: Coddington

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newark-upon-Trent with Coddington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Details

The monument includes the remains of the Civil War village defences at
Coddington constructed by the Parliamentarian forces besieging Newark in 1645-
1646.
The monument is in two parts and consists of linear earthwork banks defining
low ramparts. The first section comprises an `L'-shaped rampart measuring a
maximum of 13m in width and 0.5m in height which runs for approximately 34m
east from Balderton Lane before turning sharply and continuing for a further
40m on a north-south axis. The second section of rampart is a maximum of 12m
in width and 0.5m in height and runs for up to 60m on a north-south axis from
the northern boundary of the Homestead.
A contemporary plan drawn by the Parliamentarian Richard Clampe clearly
depicts a series of defences enclosing the southern half of Coddington and
describes them as `Colonel Gray's Quarter'. Documentary sources record that
during the third and final siege of Newark between November 1645 and May 1646
the headquarters of the Parliamentarian regiment of Colonel Theophilus Gray
were located at Coddington. The earthworks are interpreted as representing the
remains of the south east corner of the defences, intended to offer protection
to a temporary encampment within. Further remains of the village defences have
been obscured by later settlement and activity and are not included in the
scheduling.
All modern fences and trackways are excluded from the scheduling, although the
ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 5 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The battles and sieges of the English Civil War (1642-52) between King and
Parliament were the last major active military campaigns to be undertaken on
English soil and have left their mark on the English landscape in a variety of
ways. Fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during the military
campaigns to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun
emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced with revetting
and palisades, consisted of banks and ditches and varied in complexity from
simple breastworks to complex systems of banks and interconnecting trenches.
They can be recognised today as surviving earthworks or as crop or soil marks
on aerial photographs. They are recorded widely throughout England, with
concentrations in the main areas of campaigning, and have been recognised to
be unique in representing the only evidence on the ground of military
campaigns fought in England since the introduction of guns.
Newark was a key garrison held by the Royalists from the outbreak of the Civil
War in 1642 until it surrendered on the orders of the King in 1646. The town
was surrounded by a series of offensive and defensive fieldworks, many of
which survive to the present day. They are the most impressive surviving
collection of such works in England; not only do extensive remains survive,
but the whole system is recorded on two nearly contemporary plans, one by a
Royalist engineer, the other by a Parliamentarian. They thus provide a unique
opportunity for the study of the field engineering of the Civil War. All
surviving examples of the Newark siegeworks are identified to be nationally
important.

The monument survives well in the form of low earthworks. These remain largely
undisturbed with the result that the preservation of buried deposits is likely
to be good. As a result of both the survival of historical documentation and
subsequent archaeological survey, the remains will contribute particularly to
understanding of the final siege of Newark. In addition, the fieldworks,
designed to protect a small temporary encampment, represent an exceptionally
fragile and rare survival.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Clampe, R, A Description of the Seidge of Newarke upon Trent, (1646)
RCHME, , Newark on Trent - The Civil War Siegeworks, (1964)
Other
Beal, D C, (1997)
Nottinghamshire County Council, PRN 03732,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.