Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Civil War redoubt 580m ENE of sugar refinery

A Scheduled Monument in Newark, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.09 / 53°5'23"N

Longitude: -0.808 / 0°48'28"W

OS Eastings: 479927.754783

OS Northings: 355415.967076

OS Grid: SK799554

Mapcode National: GBR CLG.6JY

Mapcode Global: WHFHH.KLGH

Entry Name: Civil War redoubt 580m ENE of sugar refinery

Scheduled Date: 24 September 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30217

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Newark

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newark-upon-Trent with Coddington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Details

The monument includes the remains of a Civil War redoubt constructed by the
Parliamentarian forces besieging Newark.
The monument is situated 580m ENE of the sugar refinery on the western bank of
the River Trent and consists of earthwork ditches originally defining a
sub-rectangular enclosure c.85m by 35m internally which is interpreted as
a redoubt. The southern ditch is orientated approximately east-west, up to 75m
in length, c.7m in width and a maximum of 0.7m in depth. It includes a central
causeway up to 3m across which is interpreted as the original entrance. The
eastern ditch defining the redoubt has been mostly infilled, but is visible as
slight depression c.0.1m in depth. The western ditch has both been enlarged
by a modern field boundary and partly buried beneath an embankment. The
northern ditch has also mostly been buried beneath an embankment.
The monument is clearly depicted on two contemporary plans showing the
fieldworks of the Royalist and Parliamentarian forces, the latter attributing
it to the Scottish army under the Earl of Leven who formed a part of the
Parliamentarian forces engaged in the third and final siege between November
1645 and May 1646. The redoubt was also shown in some detail on an early 20th
century map. The location of the monument in close proximity to the west bank
of the River Trent and two other Parliamentarian redoubts suggests that it was
constructed to prevent incursions onto the island between the two courses of
the Trent, whilst being intended to operate in conjunction with other
fieldworks to provide overlapping fields of fire.
The surfaces of all trackways and fences are excluded from the scheduling,
although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The battles and sieges of the English Civil War (1642-52) between King and
Parliament were the last major active military campaigns to be undertaken on
English soil and have left their mark on the English landscape in a variety of
ways. Fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during the military
campaigns to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun
emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced with revetting
and palisades, consisted of banks and ditches and varied in complexity from
simple breastworks to complex systems of banks and interconnecting trenches.
They can be recognised today as surviving earthworks or as crop or soil marks
on aerial photographs. They are recorded widely throughout England, with
concentrations in the main areas of campaigning, and have been recognised to
be unique in representing the only evidence on the ground of military
campaigns fought in England since the introduction of guns.
Newark was a key garrison held by the Royalists from the outbreak of the Civil
War in 1642 until it surrendered on the orders of the King in 1646. The town
was surrounded by a series of offensive and defensive fieldworks, many of
which survive to the present day. They are the most impressive surviving
collection of such works in England; not only do extensive remains survive,
but the whole system is recorded on two nearly contemporary plans, one by a
Royalist engineer, the other by a Parliamentarian. They thus provide a unique
opportunity for the study of the field engineering of the Civil War. All
surviving examples of the Newark siegeworks are identified to be nationally
important.

The remains of the redoubt survive particularly well as a series of
substantial earthworks and will retain significant archaeological potential in
the form of buried deposits. As a result of both this and the survival of
historical documentation, the redoubt will contribute particularly to
understanding the Civil War sieges of Newark.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
The Seige of Newark by the English and Scotch Armies, (1646)
Clampe, R, A Description of the Seidge of Newarke upon Trent, (1646)
RCHME, , Newark on Trent - The Civil War Siegeworks, (1964)
Other
RCHME, NMR Complete Listing: SK 75 NE 18,
Title: Ordnance Survey 25" Series
Source Date: 1920
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.