Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Civil War redoubt 680m north west of Dairy Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Newark, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.0815 / 53°4'53"N

Longitude: -0.8266 / 0°49'35"W

OS Eastings: 478694.75842

OS Northings: 354456.727074

OS Grid: SK786544

Mapcode National: GBR CLF.V41

Mapcode Global: WHFHH.8SMZ

Entry Name: Civil War redoubt 680m north west of Dairy Farm

Scheduled Date: 1 January 1949

Last Amended: 6 August 1997

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016048

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30204

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Newark

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Newark-upon-Trent with Coddington

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham


The monument includes the remains of a Civil War redoubt, constructed by the
Parliamentarian forces besieging Newark, 680m north west of Dairy Farm on the
north east bank of a stream known as the Old Trent Dyke. It consists of
earthworks defining a sub-rectangular banked enclosure approximately 35m
square internally. The enclosure is interpreted as a redoubt with ramparts up
to 0.8m high and c.3m in width. The ramparts project outwards on the northern
and eastern corners to form two demi-bastions, and have gaps approximately
1.5m across in the eastern side and on the southern corner. An area of raised
ground immediately to the east of the monument beyond the break in the eastern
rampart is considered to suggest the presence of external features in
association with the original entrance. An external ditch varying between 1.5m
and 3m in width follows the north west and north east sides of the ramparts
and continues to the tip of the eastern demi-bastion. A short linear feature
approximately 10m in length, 2.5m in width and up to 0.8m deep projects from
the south west corner of the ditch and runs into the Old Trent Dyke.

The monument is one of several redoubts constructed by the Scots who comprised
part of the besieging Parliamentarian forces during the final siege of Newark
between November 1645 and May 1646. Two contemporary plans recording the
fieldworks of the Royalists and Parliamentarians respectively both clearly
depict the monument, the former referring to it as `The Sconce at Stoke
Lodge', the latter describing it as `a flanked redout of the Scots by the Red
lodge'. The lodge referred to was apparently a medieval moated house
immediately to the north west of the sconce. The lodge is the subject of a
seperate scheduling. The arrangement of the demi-bastions and the location of
the monument suggest that it was designed to protect the fording point across
the Old Trent Dyke near the Red lodge and also to enfilade the Kelham Road and
the approach to a large Scots encampment known as `Edinburgh' depicted on a
contemporary plan.

The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

The battles and sieges of the English Civil War (1642-52) between King and
Parliament were the last major active military campaigns to be undertaken on
English soil and have left their mark on the English landscape in a variety of
ways. Fieldworks are earthworks which were raised during the military
campaigns to provide temporary protection for infantry or to act as gun
emplacements. The earthworks, which may have been reinforced with revetting
and palisades, consisted of banks and ditches and varied in complexity from
simple breastworks to complex systems of banks and interconnecting trenches.
They can be recognised today as surviving earthworks or as crop or soil marks
on aerial photographs. They are recorded widely throughout England, with
concentrations in the main areas of campaigning, and have been recognised to
be unique in representing the only evidence on the ground of military
campaigns fought in England since the introduction of guns.
Newark was a key garrison held by the Royalists from the outbreak of the Civil
War in 1642 until it surrendered on the orders of the King in 1646. The town
was surrounded by a series of offensive and defensive fieldworks, many of
which survive to the present day. They are the most impressive surviving
collection of such works in England; not only do extensive remains survive,
but the whole system is recorded on two nearly contemporary plans, one by a
Royalist engineer, the other by a Parliamentarian. They thus provide a unique
opportunity for the study of the field engineering of the Civil War. All
surviving examples of the Newark siegeworks are identified to be nationally

The remains of the redoubt survive particularly well as a series of
substantial earthworks and will retain significant archaeological potential in
the form of buried deposits. As a result of both the survival of historical
documentation and subsequent archaeological survey, the remains will
constribute particularly to understanding of the final siege of Newark.

Source: Historic England


Books and journals
The Seige of Newark by the English and Scotch Armies, (1646)
Clampe, R, A Description of the Seidge of Newarke upon Trent, (1646)
RCHME, , Newark on Trent - The Civil War Siegeworks, (1964)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.