Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site and fishpond north east of Wood Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Woolstanwood, Cheshire East

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0994 / 53°5'57"N

Longitude: -2.4946 / 2°29'40"W

OS Eastings: 366977.793893

OS Northings: 355913.750315

OS Grid: SJ669559

Mapcode National: GBR 7V.8LKG

Mapcode Global: WH9B4.NC98

Entry Name: Moated site and fishpond north east of Wood Farm

Scheduled Date: 18 March 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 30360

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Woolstanwood

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Leighton cum Minshull Vernon St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Details

The monument includes a moated site immediately north east of Wood Farm. The
north, west and east sides of the moat ditch survive but the south side at its
western end has been destroyed by the buildings of a piggery. At the south
east corner is a fishpond.
The site has been identified as the platform for the manor house owned by the
Griffin family during the reign of Henry VIII and later sold to Sir Henry
Delves in 1666.
The eastern half of the southern side of the moat ditch has been partly
infilled to create a roadway along the north side of the farm, but the ditch
is still visible and the south east corner survives in the scrub woodland on
the south side of the road. Immediately to the south east of the moat corner
there is a fishpond which measures 25m by 20m with a narrow annexe on the
south west side 25m long and 10m wide.
The moat platform measures 97m from west to east and 90m from north to south.
It is surrounded by a ditch 12m wide and now about 1.5m deep. The southern
ends of the east and west arms of the ditch are waterlogged. The pond is dry
except during exceptionally wet weather.
All post and wire fences are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moat at Wood Farm survives well as an earthwork despite regular ploughing.
The platform is well defined and the ditches on the west and east sides are
waterlogged at the southern end. The platform will retain evidence of the
timber and stone buildings which were on this site and the waterlogged ditches
will afford good preservation of organic remains. In addition, the fishpond
survives as a dry feature to the south east of the moat.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Waggot, T, A History of the Town and Parish of Nantwich, (1883), 412
Other
Cheshire SMR, (1987)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.