Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Averham moat and enclosure

A Scheduled Monument in Averham, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0809 / 53°4'51"N

Longitude: -0.8587 / 0°51'31"W

OS Eastings: 476549.758695

OS Northings: 354349.054165

OS Grid: SK765543

Mapcode National: GBR BK1.ZP2

Mapcode Global: WHFHG.ST9H

Entry Name: Averham moat and enclosure

Scheduled Date: 13 April 1955

Last Amended: 3 September 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 13392

County: Nottinghamshire

Civil Parish: Averham

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Averham

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Details

The monument includes the moated site of Averham manor and the adjacent
enclosure which extends to the south-east. Earthworks visible in the ploughed
field to the south-west, and concentrations of brick further to the
south-east, indicate the existence of a second enclosure and probable building
remains. However, the extent and survival of these additional features is not
sufficiently understood for them to be included in the scheduling.
The moat includes a rectangular island measuring 12m from north-west to
south-east by 69m from north-east to south-west. Enclosing it is a steep-
sided ditch, 3m deep and varying between 8m and 9m wide. The ditch levels out
near the south corner, indicating a bridging point leading from the enclosure
to the south-east. The visible remains of this enclosure consist of two
parallel banks of which the south-western is the best preserved. It is
roughly 2m wide by 100m long and projects south-eastwards from the south end
of the moat. The second bank lies c.70m to the north but has been disturbed
by the creation of the gardens behind the houses on Church Lane. Only its
south-east end is now visible, projecting into the paddock adjacent to the two
houses. The remains of domestic or ancillary buildings will survive in this
enclosure and on the island. All boundary fencing and garden fixtures are
excluded from the scheduling, but the ground beneath is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The extent of the earthworks at Averham indicate a manorial complex of some
importance. The moat is very well-preserved and, while the adjacent enclosure
has suffered some disturbance due to ploughing and levelling, it survives
sufficiently well to retain significant archaeological remains from both the
medieval and post-medieval periods.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Nottinghamshire: Volume I, (1906), 309

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.