Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site known as Old Court Mound at Old Court

A Scheduled Monument in Bredwardine, Herefordshire,

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0984 / 52°5'54"N

Longitude: -2.9717 / 2°58'17"W

OS Eastings: 333536.784406

OS Northings: 244898.172869

OS Grid: SO335448

Mapcode National: GBR F7.9X3L

Mapcode Global: VH77W.FJV6

Entry Name: Moated site known as Old Court Mound at Old Court

Scheduled Date: 12 February 1958

Last Amended: 24 November 2000

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1017346

English Heritage Legacy ID: 31963

County: Herefordshire,

Civil Parish: Bredwardine

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Bredwardine with Brobury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Details

The monument includes the buried and earthwork remains of the medieval moated
site known as Old Court Mound and the adjacent pond, located on a hillside
overlooking the River Wye 65m north of Old Court House. A minor stream flows
by the north side of the site and thence to the Wye. The Church of St Andrew
is situated approximately 400m to the south with, directly south of it, a
motte and bailey which is the subject of a separate scheduling.
The square moat island appears to be undisturbed and measures 30m by 30m. It
is raised some 1m to 2m above the land to the south and east, and
approximately 0.5m higher than the land to the north where there is a drop of
4m to 5m to the adjacent stream and pond. There are mounds at the corners of
the island which measure up to 0.5m high. Building stone is clearly visible on
the island and the remains of an east to west stone wall were recorded in
1985.
The moat, which measures up to 10m wide by up to 3m deep, is dry although it
does fill when the Wye is in severe flood. The northern arm is formed by the
utilisation of the adjacent stream and pond and measures up to 5m deep. It
would appear that the pond and moat were filled by damming downstream of the
moat. No trace of a dam is visible.
Situated immediately north of the island is a shallow pond, approximately 200m
long by 25m wide, with its eastern end in line with the eastern arm of the
moat. This pond has been formed by enlarging the natural stream bed and is
included in the scheduling.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site known as Old Court Mound survives as a largely undisturbed and
well preserved example of this class of monument. The undisturbed nature of
the moat island will preserve evidence of former structures, including both
domestic and ancillary buildings and their associated occupation levels. These
remains will illustrate the nature of use of the site and the lifestyle of its
inhabitants in addition to providing evidence which will facilitate the dating
of the construction and subsequent periods of use of the moat.
The moat ditch will be expected to preserve earlier deposits including
evidence of its construction and any alterations during its active history. In
addition, the waterlogged nature of the pond will preserve environmental
information about the ecosystem and landscape in which it was set.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Robinson, , Castles of Herefordshire, (1867)
Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, , Herefordshire, south west, (1931), 26
Other
Record Cards, (1980)
various, EH files AM107, (1980)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.