Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 200m west of St James' Church

A Scheduled Monument in Quedgeley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8256 / 51°49'32"N

Longitude: -2.2841 / 2°17'2"W

OS Eastings: 380512.681033

OS Northings: 214151.796731

OS Grid: SO805141

Mapcode National: GBR 0K5.KBH

Mapcode Global: VH94J.CCBT

Entry Name: Moated site 200m west of St James' Church

Scheduled Date: 26 November 1986

Last Amended: 10 August 1999

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016995

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32364

County: Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Quedgeley

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Quedgeley

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Details

The monument includes a moated site on low lying ground 200m west of St James'
Church. It is visible as a sub-rectangular, four-armed moat, enclosing an
island measuring about 52m by 44m, orientated north west-south east. The moat
is water filled throughout the year, 10m wide at its widest point and about 1m
deep to water level. A slightly raised area on the island is believed to
contain the buried remains of buildings.
The moat is thought to have been the site of Woolstrop Manor house, which was
first recorded in the mid-13th century. In 1672 a William Hayward had a
house with 11 hearths in Woolstrop, and in the early 18th century it was
described as a `pleasant seat'. During the later 18th century a new
house was built to the north west of the original site, and the moat was
abandoned.
All fences and the modern sluice in the north west corner of the moat are
excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site to the west of St James' Church survives relatively well and
is unencumbered by later buildings. Buried deposits on the island will include
the remains of medieval structures, and will contain archaeological
information relating to the construction and subsequent occupation and use of
the moated site. Within the moat, waterlogged deposits will preserve
archaeological remains relating to the occupation and use of the site, along
with organic material which will provide information about the economy of the
site and the local environment during the medieval period. In addition the
moated site is documented from the 13th century complementing the well-
preserved remains.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Herbert, N M, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucestershire - Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds, (1972), 218-219

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.