Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site immediately north west of Little Pednor Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Chartridge, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7165 / 51°42'59"N

Longitude: -0.6623 / 0°39'44"W

OS Eastings: 492508.886619

OS Northings: 202823.378464

OS Grid: SP925028

Mapcode National: GBR F5M.7CS

Mapcode Global: VHFS8.G3QY

Entry Name: Moated site immediately north west of Little Pednor Farm

Scheduled Date: 2 July 1999

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016702

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32122

County: Buckinghamshire

Civil Parish: Chartridge

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Great Chesham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Details

The monument, which includes a medieval moated site, is located immediately
north west of Little Pednor Farm on ground which slopes to the north.

The moated site includes a roughly square-shaped island measuring up to 54m
north-south by a maximum of 70m east west, the surface of which is
approximately 0.3m higher than the surrounding ground level. The island is
contained by a moat, which although infilled on all but the south west
corner, is still visible as a shallow earthwork, measuring approximately 0.3m
deep. Where the moat remains open it measures up to 12m wide and at least
1.5m deep and is accompanied by an outer bank, about 5m wide and 0.4m in
height, thought to be derived of upcast from the ditch. A slight inner bank
survives alongside the southern arm of the moat.

The moated site is thought to relate to the estate in the parish of Chesham
acquired by Missenden Abbey in the 12th and 13th centuries and which, after
the Dissolution was granted as lands called Pednor and Sextens Croft to John
Lord Russell. In 1563 Richard Wedon purchased the freehold of Pednor Farm
which was at that time known as Pednor Grange. The moated site is thought to
represent the forerunner to Pednor House which is sited to the south and is
not included in the scheduling.

The barn and all fencing are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground
beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site immediately north west of Little Pednor Farm survives well.
Despite the infilling of all but the south west corner of the moat, the island
remains largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and
other features relating to the earlier periods of occupation. The infilling of
the ditches will add further protection to their buried fills. These will
contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and environmental
evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the monument was set.

The monument lies in an area where moated sites are fairly numerous, with
further examples situated at Brays Wood, Chartridge, to the north west, and at
Ashley Green, to the north east. Comparisons between these sites
will provide valuable insights into the development of settlement and society
in the medieval period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Buckinghamshire, (1969), 213
Other
(C.M.A.G), Dearnley, Mrs M and Gregory, Mrs V, Little Pednor Farm, (1982)
Royal Commission for Historical Monuments of Bucks., (1913)
Title: 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map - Chesham
Source Date:
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
D/BMT/54 R

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.