Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas

A Scheduled Monument in Ivinghoe, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8534 / 51°51'12"N

Longitude: -0.6152 / 0°36'54"W

OS Eastings: 495474.292731

OS Northings: 218104.348568

OS Grid: SP954181

Mapcode National: GBR F3Y.M9S

Mapcode Global: VHFRJ.9P42

Entry Name: Moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas

Scheduled Date: 2 December 1998

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1016476

English Heritage Legacy ID: 32111

County: Buckinghamshire

Civil Parish: Ivinghoe

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Ivinghoe with Pitstone

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Details

The monument includes a moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas, located
towards the eastern end of the village of Ivinghoe Aston.

The moated site includes a rectangular island, which measures approximately
48m north east-south west by a maximum of 34m north west-south east. The
island is contained by a water-filled ditch, or moat, which measures up to 7m
wide and at least 1.2m in depth. A north east extension to the north western
arm of the moat ditch, approximately 54m long by 7m wide, is thought to be a
leat connecting the moat with a spring to the north.

The moated site may have been an earlier location of Tithe Farm, which is
shown immediately to the north west on a parish map dating from 1770. The
enlarged farm is depicted on the First Edition Ordnance Survey 6 inch map,
although it has long since been demolished leaving only the base of the tithe
barn a short distance to the north west of the moat. The site of Tithe Farm
and barn are not included in the scheduling.

Access to the island is by a post-medieval brick bridge across the south
western arm of the moat.

The brick bridge, fences, corrugated iron, wooden sheds, metal and bricks and
farm machinery are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath
all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site 90m north east of Ashby Villas survives well. The island is
largely undisturbed and will retain buried evidence for structures and other
features relating to the period of occupation. The buried silts in the base of
the ditch will contain both artefacts relating to the period of occupation and
environmental evidence for the appearance of the landscape in which the
monument was set.

The monument lies in an area where moated sites are relatively numerous, and
is situated in close proximity to three such sites; one at Butlers Manor in
Edlesborough, about 1km to the north, one at Church Farm in Edlesborough,
2.1km to the north east and the other at Horton Hall, Ivinghoe, 3.4km to the
north west. Comparisons between these sites will provide valuable insights
into the nature of settlement and society in the medieval period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
SMR Bucks: run 254, print 3076, RAF, (1946)
Title: 6" 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map
Source Date: 1884
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
BRO
Title: Plan of the parish of Ivinghoe with the hamlet of Ivinghoe Aston
Source Date: 1770
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:
BRO Ma/116/5.R

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.