Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dagworth moated site, 400m north-west of St Nicholas' Church

A Scheduled Monument in Elmdon, Essex

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0376 / 52°2'15"N

Longitude: 0.1235 / 0°7'24"E

OS Eastings: 545751.635647

OS Northings: 239811.607469

OS Grid: TL457398

Mapcode National: GBR L9F.817

Mapcode Global: VHHL2.315V

Entry Name: Dagworth moated site, 400m north-west of St Nicholas' Church

Scheduled Date: 11 February 1977

Last Amended: 12 November 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1012055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 20680

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Elmdon

Built-Up Area: Elmdon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Details

The monument includes a moated site situated on high ground 400m north-west of
St Nicholas' Church. It survives as a rectangular-shaped moat covering a
total area of 102m SW-NE by 90m NW-SE. The moat arms are 7.5m wide and are
all dry. An external bank, 1.5m wide and c.0.3m high, surrounds the moat on
the west and southern sides. Access to the island, which is level, is across
a 5m wide causeway in the south-eastern arm of the moat. A leat leads from
the south-western corner of the moat to the north-eastern corner and along
the hedgeline towards the wood north-east of the monument and is thought to be
part of the system which once fed the moat.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

Dagworth moated site remains essentially undisturbed. It will retain
archaeological information relating to the occupation of the site and
environmental evidence pertaining to the economy of its inhabitants and the
landscape in which they lived.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
124, Information from SMR (No. 124),

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.