Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sticker Camp later Prehistoric-Roman round

A Scheduled Monument in St. Mewan, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3184 / 50°19'6"N

Longitude: -4.8307 / 4°49'50"W

OS Eastings: 198582.476125

OS Northings: 50322.954495

OS Grid: SW985503

Mapcode National: GBR ZW.10FG

Mapcode Global: FRA 08R6.5WD

Entry Name: Sticker Camp later Prehistoric-Roman round

Scheduled Date: 10 May 1977

Last Amended: 11 March 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1011994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 15012

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Mewan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Mewan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes a later Prehistoric to Roman period round, comprising an
oval enclosure defined by a rampart and outer ditch, with a more distant
secondary rampart and ditch. Both defensive lines are broken by broad
hollow-way running to the enclosure from the west.
The inner rampart at Sticker Camp survives 10m wide, 0.75m high max.,
enclosing an oval featureless interior 70m N-S by 42m E-W (0.25ha); the
rampart is reduced at the centre of the W side, considered to mark the site of
an entrance. The outer ditch, 16-19m wide and 0.3m deep max., bulges outwards
at the centre of the W side, corresponding to the line of approach from the W
of an E-W hollow 15-20m wide, 0.5m deep max., and visible from 30m to c.90m
from the inner rampart crest on its W side; this hollow marks the entrance-
route into the round. An outer rampart and ditch is also visible, though
poorly preserved, following a sub-circular course slightly eccentric to the
inner defences, centred a little SW of the inner enclosure's centre. The
outer rampart is best preserved around the NE and SE sectors, surviving to a
maximum 14m wide and 0.5m high, the distance between the inner and outer
rampart crests ranging from c.35m to the NE to c.50m to the SE. The outermost
ditch survives to a maximum 5m wide and 0.3m deep in its NW sector, and runs
into the N side of the hollow-way 65m W of the inner rampart crest. A low
irregular mound, 16m long by 0.25m high and centred c.55m SW of the inner
rampart's SW curve, may be a remnant of the outer rampart in this sector.

This monument has been the subject of several descriptions by later 19th and
early 20th century archaeologists who recorded the layout of the monument's
earthworks and their state of preservation. The monument is sited around the
almost flat summit of a low hill in the dissected terrain between the granite
of the Hensbarrow Downs 3km to the N and the south Cornwall coast 5km to the
SE. It stands in the former Treloweth Common, but its site had been enclosed
by 1813.

All modern hedges and gates, the modern stock shed, and the overhead
electricity supply line and its poles are excluded from the scheduling, but
the land beneath, including hedge-banks, is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Rounds are small embanked enclosures with an external ditch, usually circular
or oval, forming one of a range of known settlement types dating to the later
Iron Age and Roman periods. They usually have a single earth and rubble bank
and outer ditch, broken by one entrance gap. Excavated examples have produced
dry-stone supporting walls within the bank, paved or cobbled entrance-ways and
post-built gate structures. Excavated features within rounds have included
foundations for timber, turf or stone-built houses, of oval or rectangular
plan, often set around the inner edge of the enclosing bank. Other features
include hearths, drains, gullies, pits, and rubbish middens. Evidence for
industrial activities has been recovered from some sites, including
small-scale metal-working, and among the domestic debris occur items traded
from distant sources. Some rounds are associated with secondary enclosures,
often circular or rectangular, and either butted against the round as an
annexe or forming an additional enclosure up to 100m away.
Rounds are viewed primarily as agricultural settlements, the equivalents of
farming hamlets, replaced by unenclosed settlement types by the 7th century
A.D.. Over 750 rounds are recorded nationally, occurring throughout the areas
bordering the Irish Sea, and confined in England to Cornwall and SW Devon.
They are most densely concentrated in west Cornwall and are usually sited on
hill-slopes and spurs. They are particularly important as one of the major
sources of information on settlement and social organisation in the Iron Age
and Roman periods in south-west England. Consequently sites displaying an
extensively complete plan representative of the range of known types,
topographical locations and geographical spread will normally be considered as
nationally important.

Sticker Camp is of particular importance in preserving an unusual double
defensive system layout, complete with a clear approach-way, in an area well
away from the main concentration of rounds but forming one part of a hierarchy
of broadly contemporary sites known in the near vicinity.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Cornwall: Volume I, (1906), 470
Other
AM 107 record relating to CO 961, Camp 600m E of Sticker,
Beagrie, N, Iron Age Multivallate Settlements of the St Austell Area, 1980, Unpubl. B.A. Disstn., Univ. Durham
Cornwall SMR entry for PRN 20660, round on Treloweth Common,
McLaughlin, J, Untitled MS, filed as RRIC, 31, P1 XI, (1847)
Mercer, R J, Original AM7 for CO 961, camp 600m E of Sticker, (1973)
No. 44; 23/1/1852, Thomas, R, Untitled letter to The West Briton Newspaper, (1852)
Thomas, R, Untitled survey sheets (deposited in RIC, Truro), (1840)
Title: 1": 1 mile Ordnance Survey Map
Source Date: 1813
Author:
Publisher:
Surveyor:

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.