Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wayside cross 35m south of Heligan House

A Scheduled Monument in St. Ewe, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2835 / 50°17'0"N

Longitude: -4.8099 / 4°48'35"W

OS Eastings: 199913.588576

OS Northings: 46393.579001

OS Grid: SW999463

Mapcode National: GBR ZW.3CWQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 08T8.V9V

Entry Name: Wayside cross 35m south of Heligan House

Scheduled Date: 25 September 1934

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006629

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 246

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Ewe

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Ewe

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes a wayside cross, situated in the grounds of Heligan House. The cross survives as a decorated wheel-head on a long, slightly tapering, rectangular section shaft. The whole stands to a height of approximately 2.4m and is set into the edge of the formal lawn. The head is decorated on both sides with an equal-armed cross in relief. The cross was found at Bokiddeck Farm, in the parish of Lanivet, in 1878 where it was used inverted as the door post of a porch. It was removed and brought to its current location in 1901.

The cross is Listed Grade II (71508).
The cross lies within a Registered Park and Garden (1521).

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-429634

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes which might have a more specifically religious function, including providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions. Wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration but several regional types have been identified. The Cornish wayside crosses form one such group. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross were carved. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ. Less common forms include the `Latin' cross, where the cross-head itself is shaped within the arms of an unenclosed cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low-relief cross on both faces. Over 400 crosses of all types are recorded in Cornwall. Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval routeways, settlement patterns and the development of sculptural traditions and their survival is somewhat differential because of periods of religious turbulence during the Reformation when many were subject to damage or partial destruction by iconoclasts. Despite having been re-used as a door post, moved and relocated, the wayside cross 35m south of Heligan House survives well and its carving remains clear.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.