Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Doniert Stone, accompanying cross shaft and underground chamber 650m south west of Common Moor

A Scheduled Monument in St. Cleer, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4928 / 50°29'34"N

Longitude: -4.4881 / 4°29'17"W

OS Eastings: 223618.058032

OS Northings: 68845.308481

OS Grid: SX236688

Mapcode National: GBR ND.LC0P

Mapcode Global: FRA 17HR.FBJ

Entry Name: The Doniert Stone, accompanying cross shaft and underground chamber 650m SW of Common Moor

Scheduled Date: 26 June 1929

Last Amended: 20 February 1992

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1010873

English Heritage Legacy ID: 15001

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Cleer

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Cleer

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes two erect granite cross shaft fragments, both bearing
decoration in later 9th century styles and one bearing an inscribed panel,
and an underground passage and chamber terminating beneath the crosses. The
cross shafts stand on a N-S axis, centred 2m apart, and are of rectangular
section. The northern cross, termed the `Doniert Stone', stands 1.37m high
and is 0.91m by 0.61m at the base. Panels of interlace decoration are carved
into its N, W and S faces; the E face bears the carved inscription `doniert
rogavit pro anima' in lower case cursive script. The upper end of this stone
is deeply mortised and a plinth surrounds the base. The inscription on this
stone has been associated with the local ruler `Dumgarth/Dwingarth', who is
recorded as being drowned c.AD 875. The southern cross, sometimes called
the `Other Half Stone', stands 2.1m high and is 0.61m by 0.43m at the base.
It bears a panel of interlace decoration on its E face; its W face is
irregularly fractured and a broken mortise slot is visible at its upper end.
A plinth occurs shortly above the base, below which the surfaces appear
unworked. Exploratory excavation has revealed an underground rock-cut
passage starting c.8m SE of the crosses and aligned towards them, becoming a
tunnel after c.3.7m, and terminating as a cruciform chamber beneath the
crosses.
The monument is situated near the side of a road on the W flank of a low hill
overlooking the River Fowey, in an area of enclosed pasture bordering the SE
edge of Bodmin Moor.
The English Heritage information notice, the Cornish hedge bounding the area
in care and the granite seat set into that hedge are excluded from the
scheduling, but the land beneath them is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Cross fragments of this form, related to the High Cross tradition are rare
nationally, with only 50 examples surviving in England. These two examples
are particularly unusual in occurring well away from the main concentrations
of such monuments in the north of England. Indeed they are the only
surviving examples of late 9th century crosses in Cornwall and their form is
considered to owe bore to the development of the local traditions of memorial
stones than to the growth of the more elaborate high crosses in the north.
The interlace decoration survives reasonably well on both crosses, however it
is the survival of the inscription on one cross which is of particular
importance. This is one of only two inscribed stones bearing the name of a
Cornish king, and the only one featuring a character known also from
documentary sources; thus it assists any historical as well as archaeological
study of early medieval Cornwall.
The site is considered to retain much valuable information on the form of the
original setting of the crosses and in particular their relationship to the
underground chamber known to underlie the site.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Camden, W, Britannia, (1586)
Carew, R, The Survey of Cornwall, (1602)
Hals, W, The Compleat History of Cornwall, (1750)
Thomas, C, Minor Sites On Tintagel Island, (1988), 31-48
Todd, M, The South-West to A.D. 1000, (1987), 13, 295
Andrew, C K C, 'J. Roy. Inst. Corn.' in J Roy Inst Corn Volume 24, , Vol. 24, ()
Other
Cornwall SMR entry for `Doniert Stone', PRN 17270,
Cornwall SMR entry for `Mine, alleged site', PRN 17262,
Cornwall SMR entry for `The Other Half Stone', PRN 17251,
Cornwall SMR entry for `Two Cross Downs', PRN 17269,
Scheduling documentation for `The Doniert Inscribed Stone',

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.