Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site and ponds at Dennington Place

A Scheduled Monument in Dennington, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2519 / 52°15'6"N

Longitude: 1.3129 / 1°18'46"E

OS Eastings: 626222.923091

OS Northings: 266691.447085

OS Grid: TM262666

Mapcode National: GBR WN7.W6K

Mapcode Global: VHL9X.PNXL

Entry Name: Moated site and ponds at Dennington Place

Scheduled Date: 3 May 1994

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1007675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21303

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Dennington

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Dennington St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Details

The monument includes a moated site and an associated pond, situated on a
slight east-facing hill slope near the south-western boundary of Dennington
parish. The moat ditch, which measures between 10m and 15m in width, with a
depth of up to 2m, encloses a trapezoidal island with maximum dimensions of
45m north-west/south-east by 40m north-east/south-west. The moat is
water-logged, with areas of shallow open water, and there is an outlet from
the eastern arm into an enlarged field drain. The western arm is crossed by a
causeway and the part to the north of this has been infilled, although
surviving as a buried feature. The exposed south side of the causeway is faced
with brick. The remains of a flint and mortar revetment, partly faced with
brick, can be seen on the inner face of the northern arm of the moat and some
brickwork is also visible on both faces of the eastern arm, near its southern
end. A narrow causeway across the eastern end of the northern arm is of recent
construction, overlying earlier deposits in the moat.
The central island, the surface of which is raised approximately 0.3m above
the prevailing ground level, is known to have been occupied from at least the
later 14th century until 1662/3, when the house was demolished, and a mid-
15th-century document includes reference to a chapel. A small-scale
excavation, carried out in 1976 in the north-eastern corner of the island,
discovered evidence relating to this occupation, including brick and flint
walling, floors and flint cobbles, as well as finds of pottery and window
glass.
In the 18th century the moated enclosure was in use as a stackyard, and part
of a barn and the footings of other farm buildings still stand at the western
end of the island. The present house, which is situated 20m to the east of
the moat, has been dated to the 16th century, although details of the interior
suggest that the northern end and part of the adjacent barn may be of earlier
date.
Five metres to the west of the moat, and at a higher level, is a rectangular
pond, aligned east-west and with dimensions of approximately 30m by 12m. The
pond is fed by a ditch approximately 3m wide which leads into it from the
north and is included in the scheduling. The eastern end of the pond and the
western arm of the moat were formerly connected by a sluice, traces of
which will survive below the ground surface.
Dennington Place was at one time the seat of the Rous family, including
William Rous, Chief Constable of the Hundred of Hoxne at the time of the
uprising of 1381. Sir Anthony Rous, who in 1538 acquired Dennington Hall
with the manor of Dennington from Sir Charles Wingfield, was the last of that
family to live there and in 1608 it was acquired by the Bacon family of
Shrubland Hall.
Excluded from the scheduling are the remains of the post-medieval barn and
adjacent structures standing at the western end of the central island, the
track which gives access to the house, and all service pipes, but the ground
beneath all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site at Dennington Place survives well. Small-scale excavations
on the site have demonstrated that it retains important archaeological
evidence of the medieval house which once occupied the central island, and
evidence of earlier land use will be preserved in soils buried beneath the
platform. The pond immediately to the west of the moat may have been created
primarily as an ornamental feature but is also likely to have been used for
keeping fish and is an integral part of the domestic complex. The monument is
one of a group of moated sites which survive in and immediately around the
parish of Dennington and which are of interest for the study of medieval land
holding and land use in the area.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
Powell, E, The Rising in East Anglia, (1896), 21, 130
Other
Ipswich Record Office : Dunthorne archive,
Ref. in will of Reginald Rous, d.1460, Ridgard, J, (1992)
Shrubland Hall: Archive,
Suffolk SMR: Dennington Parish File DNN 007, (1976)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.