Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site 60m north-east of Little Onn Hall

A Scheduled Monument in Church Eaton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7381 / 52°44'17"N

Longitude: -2.2379 / 2°14'16"W

OS Eastings: 384030.513541

OS Northings: 315631.05446

OS Grid: SJ840156

Mapcode National: GBR 17J.C0R

Mapcode Global: WHBF4.LFJS

Entry Name: Moated site 60m north-east of Little Onn Hall

Scheduled Date: 23 February 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1007619

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21505

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Church Eaton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Church Eaton St Editha

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Details

The monument includes a rectangular moated site and fish stews 60m north-east
of Little Onn Hall, Church Eaton. The waterfilled moat, up to 12m wide and 2m
deep, is stone-lined with a cobbled base. The moat is divided into two
sections by entrances across the west and east arms. The west entrance to the
island is a stone-built causeway. A narrow stone bridge, 1.5m wide, forms
the eastern access. There is a stone overflow channel at the base of the
bridge which connects the two sections of the moat. The south-east corner of
the moat projects east to form a small pond. The island has dimensions of 42m
north-south by 50m east-west. There is upstanding masonry at the north-west
edge of the island, the ashlar walling including a small window opening with
splayed jambs. Outside the moat, to the south-west, are two small waterfilled
fish stews or breeding tanks, also stone-lined with a cobbled base.
An estate map of 1833 provides an indication of the original layout of the
moated site prior to its incorporation within the landscaped ornamental garden
which was designed by Mawson and laid out between 1870 and 1875.
The site is thought to have been held by the Lords of the Manor of Penkridge
until at least 1609; it has also been described as part of the barony of
Stafford.
The surfaces of the garden paths around the external perimeter of the moat and
on the platform and the extension to the east of the upstanding masonry at the
north-west edge of the platform are excluded from the scheduling but the
ground beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The moated site near Little Onn Hall survives well and includes upstanding
building remains. The monument is a good example of a medieval moated site
which has been incorporated into a 19th century ornamental garden.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
The Estates Of Henry Crockett, (1833)
The Victoria History of the County of Staffordshire, (1958), 92
Johnstone, H, The Victoria History of the County of Staffordshire, (1908), 362
Larkham, P J, 'South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society' in Moated Sites in South Staffordshire, , Vol. 24, (1983)

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.