Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moated site and fishpond at Moat Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Gayton, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8525 / 52°51'8"N

Longitude: -2.0351 / 2°2'6"W

OS Eastings: 397733.653363

OS Northings: 328328.895801

OS Grid: SJ977283

Mapcode National: GBR 27S.29P

Mapcode Global: WHBDN.QK3L

Entry Name: Moated site and fishpond at Moat Farm

Scheduled Date: 23 February 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1007617

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21503

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Gayton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Gayton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Details

The monument includes the moated site and associated fishpond 60m south of St
Peter's Church, Gayton.
The moated site includes a slightly raised island which is oval in plan and
measures 70m west-east by 50m north-south. The northern part of the moat has
been partially infilled, although traces of the original moat edge remain as
shallow depressions. The south, east and west arms of the moat are
waterfilled and are up to 12m wide and 4m deep, although the east arm has some
silting. The moat is surrounded by an external enclosure bank which rises to
a height of 0.5m. The partially tree-lined outer bank is most evident at the
west and south sides of the moat. Original access to the island was probably
from the north-east, although whether by causeway or by bridge is not now
clear.
The fishpond is situated 90m to the west of the moated complex, connected to
the moat by a dry channel 4m wide. The southern part of the pond is
seasonally waterfilled. Rectangular in plan, the fishpond measures 175m by
60m. There are retaining banks surrounding the edge of the pond. The two
circular islands within the fishpond, both 10m in diameter, are likely to have
been provided for the nesting of waterfowl.
The manor is known to have been held by the Meverelle family until 1274 when
Nicholas de Nugent died leaving nine daughters as co-heiresses.
Excluded from the scheduling are the 18th-19th century brick farmhouse and the
associated agricultural buildings of Moat Farm, a telegraph pole and cable
support on the northern arm of the moat, all paths, driveways, fences, the
surface of the trackway at the north side of the fishpond but the ground
beneath these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The site at Moat Farm, Gayton survives well and represents a fine example of a
combined moat and fishpond water-management complex.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Johnstone, H, The Victoria History of the County of Staffordshire, (1908), 363
'North Staffordshire Field Club Transactions' in North Staffordshire Field Club Transactions, , Vol. 47, (1912), 185-6

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.