Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sandon Old Hall moated site

A Scheduled Monument in Sandon and Burston, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8632 / 52°51'47"N

Longitude: -2.066 / 2°3'57"W

OS Eastings: 395655.469964

OS Northings: 329525.311876

OS Grid: SJ956295

Mapcode National: GBR 27K.DHX

Mapcode Global: WHBDN.79GB

Entry Name: Sandon Old Hall moated site

Scheduled Date: 8 November 1993

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1011049

English Heritage Legacy ID: 21511

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Sandon and Burston

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Sandon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Details

The monument includes the moated site 170m north-east of Sandon church. The
moated site has external dimensions of approximately 100m west-east by 80m
north-south. The waterfilled moat measures 12m to 15m wide and is
approximately 4m deep. A narrow bank or spur divides the western arm of the
moat into two parts. It therefore takes the form of two parallel channels
joined at their southern end. Much of the inner edge of the moat is stone-
faced. The moated island measures approximately 49m square. A causeway across
the eastern arm and a narrow footbridge on the northern side of the moat now
provide access onto the moated island. The original entrance was via a
drawbridge across the eastern arm of the moat which led to the house on the
moated island. By 1854, however, a small portion of stone walling was the only
standing remains of this building.
The site was acquired, through marriage, by the Erdeswick family in 1338. The
family included Sampson Erdeswick (d.1603), the antiquary and first historian
of Staffordshire. Sandon Hall remained the property of the Erdeswick family
until the mid-17th century.
Excluded from the scheduling are the footbridge across the moat, all fence
posts and the 19th-century cottage, the ornamental pond, the outbuildings
used for storage and the animal pens which are situated on the moated island,
but the ground beneath all these features is included.

MAP EXTRACT
The site of the monument is shown on the attached map extract.
It includes a 2 metre boundary around the archaeological features,
considered to be essential for the monument's support and preservation.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Around 6,000 moated sites are known in England. They consist of wide ditches,
often or seasonally water-filled, partly or completely enclosing one or more
islands of dry ground on which stood domestic or religious buildings. In some
cases the islands were used for horticulture. The majority of moated sites
served as prestigious aristocratic and seigneurial residences with the
provision of a moat intended as a status symbol rather than a practical
military defence. The peak period during which moated sites were built was
between about 1250 and 1350 and by far the greatest concentration lies in
central and eastern parts of England. However, moated sites were built
throughout the medieval period, are widely scattered throughout England and
exhibit a high level of diversity in their forms and sizes. They form a
significant class of medieval monument and are important for the understanding
of the distribution of wealth and status in the countryside. Many examples
provide conditions favourable to the survival of organic remains.

The monument survives well and is largely unencumbered by modern development.
The moated island will retain considerable structural and artefactual evidence
of the original house known to have existed on the island. Additonally,
organic material will be preserved within the waterfilled moat ditches. The
importance of the site is enhanced by good historical documentation.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Erdeswick, S , Survey of Staffordshire, (1820), 39-40
Plot, R, The Natural History of Staffordshire, (1686), 61
Scrivener, A, 'Transactions of the North Staffordshire Field Club' in Sandon, All Saints' Church, , Vol. 1910-11, (1911), 137

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.