Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Multi-span bridge called Berriow Bridge

A Scheduled Monument in North Hill, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5552 / 50°33'18"N

Longitude: -4.4391 / 4°26'20"W

OS Eastings: 227315.29019

OS Northings: 75666.676246

OS Grid: SX273756

Mapcode National: GBR NG.GCLL

Mapcode Global: FRA 17LL.ND6

Entry Name: Multi-span bridge called Berriow Bridge

Scheduled Date: 26 November 1928

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006702

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 75

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: North Hill

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: North Hill

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

This monument includes a multi-span bridge at Berriowbridge, which crosses the River Lynher. The bridge survives as three pointed arches with chamfered arch rings and wide piers constructed from coursed granite with a parapet topped with granite coping. The cutwaters and piers are almost as wide as the arches and continue up to form two refuges on each parapet. The bridge dates to the 16th century. It was repaired in 1640 and widened, on the upstream side, in 1890. The bridge was mentioned by Norden in 1584 and was originally 2.6m wide.
The bridge is Listed Grade II* (431967).

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-435171

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Multi-span bridges are structures of two or more arches supported on piers. They were constructed throughout the medieval period for the use of pedestrians and packhorse or vehicular traffic, crossing rivers or streams, often replacing or supplementing earlier fords. During the early medieval period timber was used, but from the 12th century stone (and later brick) bridges became more common, with the piers sometimes supported by a timber raft. Most stone or brick bridges were constructed with pointed arches, although semicircular and segmental examples are also known. A common medieval feature is the presence of stone ashlar ribs underneath the arch. The bridge abutments and revetting of the river banks also form part of the bridge. Where medieval bridges have been altered in later centuries, original features are sometimes concealed behind later stonework, including remains of earlier timber bridges. The roadway was often originally cobbled or gravelled. The building and maintenance of bridges was frequently carried out by the church and by guilds, although landowners were also required to maintain bridges. From the mid-13th century the right to collect tolls, known as pontage, was granted to many bridges, usually for repairs. Despite being widened in 1890, this was done in a sympathetic manner and the multi-span bridge called Berriow Bridge retains its original character and survives well. As well as its historic and architectural interest, it will contain archaeological and environmental evidence relating to its construction, development, repair, and importance for transport, communication, trade and social significance as well as its overall landscape context.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.