Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wayside cross 135m north west of The Cockpit in Boconnoc Park

A Scheduled Monument in Boconnoc, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4159 / 50°24'57"N

Longitude: -4.6164 / 4°36'59"W

OS Eastings: 214212.380001

OS Northings: 60604.013001

OS Grid: SX142606

Mapcode National: GBR N7.R20Z

Mapcode Global: FRA 176Y.KBQ

Entry Name: Wayside cross 135m north west of The Cockpit in Boconnoc Park

Scheduled Date: 28 September 1934

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006632

English Heritage Legacy ID: CO 251

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Boconnoc

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Boconnoc

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Details

The monument includes a wayside cross, situated on a small spur above a tributary to the River Lerryn at Boconnoc Park. The cross survives as a 2.1m high decorated wheel-head and shaft set into a modern pedestal. Both sides of the head are decorated with an equal-armed cross in relief. Both faces of the shaft are also decorated with incised designs. The modern base is inscribed in the memory of William Wyndham, Lord Grenville. The cross itself was moved from Lanlivery and relocated on the pedestal by GM Fortescue in 1840.

The cross stands within a Registered Park and Garden (1298).

Sources: HER:-
PastScape Monument No:-432714

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Wayside crosses are one of several types of Christian cross erected during the medieval period, mostly from the 9th to 15th centuries AD. In addition to serving the function of reiterating and reinforcing the Christian faith amongst those who passed the cross and of reassuring the traveller, wayside crosses often fulfilled a role as waymarkers, especially in difficult and otherwise unmarked terrain. The crosses might be on regularly used routes linking ordinary settlements or on routes which might have a more specifically religious function, including providing access to religious sites for parishioners and funeral processions. Wayside crosses vary considerably in form and decoration but several regional types have been identified. The Cornish wayside crosses form one such group. The commonest type includes a round, or `wheel', head on the faces of which various forms of cross were carved. The design was sometimes supplemented with a relief figure of Christ. Less common forms include the `Latin' cross, where the cross-head itself is shaped within the arms of an unenclosed cross and, much rarer, the simple slab with a low-relief cross on both faces. Over 400 crosses of all types are recorded in Cornwall. Wayside crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval routeways, settlement patterns and the development of sculptural traditions and their survival is somewhat differential because of periods of religious turbulence during the Reformation when many were subject to damage or partial destruction by iconoclasts. Despite having been moved, the wayside cross 135m north west of The Cockpit in Boconnoc Park survives well and is tall and well-proportioned with clear decorative carvings.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.