Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Churchyard cross

A Scheduled Monument in Bicknoller, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1472 / 51°8'49"N

Longitude: -3.2722 / 3°16'19"W

OS Eastings: 311105.949682

OS Northings: 139428.213691

OS Grid: ST111394

Mapcode National: GBR LT.80T7

Mapcode Global: VH6GX.7FGD

Entry Name: Churchyard cross

Scheduled Date: 10 June 1952

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1006202

English Heritage Legacy ID: SO 246

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Bicknoller

Built-Up Area: Bicknoller

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Summary

Standing cross in the churchyard of Bicknoller Church.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 10 August 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

This monument includes a standing cross situated in the churchyard to the east of St George’s Church in the heart of the settlement of Bicknoller. The cross survives as a three stepped octagonal plinth of up to 1m high, with a square socket stone with chamfered corners of 0.6m high, a tall slender tapering octagonal section original cross shaft of up to 2.3m high and a modern cross head. The cross dates to the late 14th century although the replacement cross head was restored in the 1920s. It was described and illustrated by C Pooley in 1877.

The standing cross is Listed Grade II*.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A standing cross is a free standing upright structure, usually of stone, mostly erected during the medieval period (mid 10th to mid 16th centuries AD). Standing crosses served a variety of functions. In churchyards they served as stations for outdoor processions, particularly in the observance of Palm Sunday. Elsewhere, standing crosses were used within settlements as places for preaching, public proclamation and penance, as well as defining rights of sanctuary. Standing crosses were also employed to mark boundaries between parishes, property, or settlements. A few crosses were erected to commemorate battles. Some crosses were linked to particular saints, whose support and protection their presence would have helped to invoke. Crosses in market places may have helped to validate transactions. After the Reformation, some crosses continued in use as foci for municipal or borough ceremonies, for example as places for official proclamations and announcements; some were the scenes of games or recreational activity.

Standing crosses were distributed throughout England and are thought to have numbered in excess of 12,000. However, their survival since the Reformation has been variable, being much affected by local conditions, attitudes and religious sentiment. In particular, many cross-heads were destroyed by iconoclasts during the 16th and 17th centuries. Less than 2,000 medieval standing crosses, with or without cross-heads, are now thought to exist. The oldest and most basic form of standing cross is the monolith, a stone shaft often set directly in the ground without a base. The most common form is the stepped cross, in which the shaft is set in a socket stone and raised upon a flight of steps; this type of cross remained current from the 11th to 12th centuries until after the Reformation. Where the cross-head survives it may take a variety of forms, from a lantern-like structure to a crucifix; the more elaborate examples date from the 15th century. Much less common than stepped crosses are spire-shaped crosses, often composed of three or four receding stages with elaborate architectural decoration and/or sculptured figures; the most famous of these include the Eleanor crosses, erected by Edward I at the stopping places of the funeral cortege of his wife, who died in 1290. Also uncommon are the preaching crosses which were built in public places from the 13th century, typically in the cemeteries of religious communities and cathedrals, market places and wide thoroughfares; they include a stepped base, buttresses supporting a vaulted canopy, in turn carrying either a shaft and head or a pinnacled spire. Standing crosses contribute significantly to our understanding of medieval customs, both secular and religious, and to our knowledge of medieval parishes and settlement patterns. All crosses which survive as standing monuments, especially those which stand in or near their original location, are considered worthy of protection. Despite the loss of its original head, the sanding cross in the churchyard of Bicknoller Church survives well and retains many of its original features and appears to be in-situ.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Other
PastScape Monument No:-189603

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.