Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Manor House (site of) west of Roman Catholic church, Sutton Park

A Scheduled Monument in Heathlands, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2745 / 51°16'28"N

Longitude: -0.5612 / 0°33'40"W

OS Eastings: 500460.371804

OS Northings: 153794.639649

OS Grid: TQ004537

Mapcode National: GBR FC5.2XQ

Mapcode Global: VHFVG.775B

Entry Name: Old Manor House (site of) W of Roman Catholic church, Sutton Park

Scheduled Date: 11 October 1954

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1005933

English Heritage Legacy ID: SU 129

County: Surrey

Electoral Ward/Division: Heathlands

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Burpham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Summary

Site of medieval manor house, 50m west of St Edward’s Roman Catholic Church, Sutton Park.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 27 November 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a medieval manor house surviving as upstanding and buried remains. It is situated at the summit of a slope on the west side of a valley centred on the River Wey Navigation. The remains of the manor house largely consist of buried foundations but also include a stone-lined well, upstanding in the north-west corner of the church graveyard. Scatters of broken roof tile have been observed on the ground surface. The buried remains extend into a field to the west of the church, known as ‘Manor Field’ approximately quarter of a mile from Sutton Place. These have been disturbed in the past by ploughing. The site has been identified through partial excavation between 1978 and 1983, as well as documentary sources, as the old manor house of Sutton. These excavations uncovered the rubble, clay and brick foundations of several buildings. These include a brick-built structure measuring about 3m by 4m, the east and south walls of one building and the corner of another. A medieval ditch system was also identified, which is believed to be the enclosure surrounding the manor site with an entrance on one side. The finds included an 11th century rim sherd, roof tiles, a double-handed cup fragment, a Halfpenny and two farthings of Charles II. The manor house is believed to date to the 12th or 13th century. According to documentary sources, the manorial seat of Sutton was held together with Woking for nearly 200 years before the reign of Henry VIII. As a result the old manor house of Sutton was neglected, fell into decay and is recorded as a ruin by 1329. Henry VIII granted Sutton to Sir Richard Weston in 1521 who thereafter held seat at his house in Sutton Place.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Manorial centres were important foci of medieval rural life. They served as prestigious aristocratic or seigniorial residences, the importance of their inhabitants being reflected in the quality and elaboration of their buildings. Local agricultural and village life was normally closely regulated by the Lord of the manor, and hence the inhabitants of these sites had a controlling interest in many aspects of medieval life. Manorial sites could take on many forms. In many areas of the country the buildings were located within a moat, the latter being intended to further impress the status of the site on the wider population. Other manors were not moated their status being indicated largely by the quality of their buildings. This latter group of manorial centres are the most difficult to identify today because the sites were not enclosed by major earthwork features, such as a moat, which may survive well, and the original buildings often exhibited a fairly unplanned layout which could extend over a large area. Continued use of the site has also in many instances led to destruction of medieval remains. Hence examples of medieval manorial centres of this type which can be positively identified and demonstrated to have extensive surviving archaeological remains are relatively rare.

The site of Sutton manor has been shown by archaeological investigation to contain upstanding stone remains, in the form of the well, and below-ground archaeological remains related to the construction and original use of the site. Alongside documentary evidence, they provide a rare insight into an important manorial centre that would have had a considerable influence on the surrounding area in the medieval period.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 381-390
Other
Surrey HER 506. NMR TQ05SW3. PastScape 394205

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.