Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Medieval chapel and graveyard, 170m east of Brandon

A Scheduled Monument in Ingram, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4483 / 55°26'54"N

Longitude: -1.9328 / 1°55'58"W

OS Eastings: 404349.434158

OS Northings: 617164.883205

OS Grid: NU043171

Mapcode National: GBR G5YF.CR

Mapcode Global: WHB04.8BW2

Entry Name: Medieval chapel and graveyard, 170m east of Brandon

Scheduled Date: 6 October 1976

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1002917

English Heritage Legacy ID: ND 580

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ingram

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Ingram St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Details

The monument includes the remains of a medieval chapel and an associated graveyard situated on level ground to the east of Brandon. The chapel survives as the lower walls and foundations of the building including the nave, choir and a sanctuary with a vestry on its south side. The walls of the chapel are constructed from rubble and roughly dressed stone and are 0.7m thick and vary in height from 0.1m up to 1m. Surrounding the chapel there is a stone-walled graveyard containing at least five grave stones with the earliest decipherable date being 1743. The earliest written record of the chapel dates to 1432 stating that the Vicar of Eglingham had failed to maintain a priest in Brandon chapel and by 1663 the chapel was described as being 'ruined and destitute'. The graveyard was used for burial until at least 1811 but by the end of the 19th century the chapel had fallen into disrepair. In 1903 the chapel walls were excavated and consolidated. The character of the standing remains of the chapel indicate it to be of 13th century date, however, it is understood to overlie the foundations of an earlier chapel. A 12th century font found within the chapel was removed to Eglingham Church.

SOURCES
PastScape Monument No:- 5163
NMR:- NU01NW44
Northumberland HER:- 3094

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A medieval chapel is a building, usually rectangular, containing a range of furnishings and fittings appropriate for Christian worship in the pre- Reformation period. Chapels were designed for congregational worship and were generally divided into two main parts: the nave, which provided accommodation for the laity, and the chancel, which was the main domain of the priest and contained the principal altar. Around 4000 parochial chapels were built between the 12th and 17th centuries as subsidiary places of worship built for the convenience of parishioners who lived at a distance from the main parish church. Other chapels were built as private places of worship by manorial lords and lie near or within manor houses, castles or other high-status residences. Chantry chapels were built and maintained by endowment and were established for the singing of masses for the soul of the founder. Some chapels possessed burial grounds. Unlike parish churches, the majority of which remain in ecclesiastical use, chapels were often abandoned as their communities and supporting finances declined or disappeared. Many chantry chapels disappeared after the dissolution of their supporting communities in the 1540s. Chapels, like parish churches, have always been major features of the landscape. A significant number of surviving examples are identified as being nationally important. The sites of abandoned chapels, where positively identified, are particularly worthy of statutory protection as they were often left largely undisturbed and thus retain important information about the nature and date of their use up to their abandonment.
The medieval chapel east of Brandon survives reasonably well and retains significant archaeological deposits relating to its construction, use and abandonment. The presence of an earlier chapel on the same site enhances the importance of the monument. The associated graveyard provides a rare opportunity for study of the topography of a medieval graveyard: the burials themselves will provide important information on burial practice and study of the skeletal remains will provide a major insight into the medieval population of this rural area over time.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.