Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Inner Temple Hall Buttery

A Scheduled Monument in Farringdon Without, City of London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5128 / 51°30'45"N

Longitude: -0.1104 / 0°6'37"W

OS Eastings: 531220.35244

OS Northings: 181007.527455

OS Grid: TQ312810

Mapcode National: GBR MC.CW

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.17HN

Entry Name: Inner Temple Hall Buttery

Scheduled Date: 19 February 1951

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1002066

English Heritage Legacy ID: LO 23

County: City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Without

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Summary

Inner Temple Hall Buttery, 53m south of Temple Church.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 24 March 2015. This record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes the undercroft and service end of a 14th century hall, restored in the 19th century and in the mid-20th century, surviving as upstanding and archaeological remains. It is situated at Inner Temple which was the 12th century residence of the Knights Templars. It later became the residence of the Hospitallers, was rebuilt in the 19th century and is now barristers' chambers. It is located on the south of the Strand, near the northern bank of the River Thames. The Inner Temple Hall, to which it was adjoined, was rebuilt in 1868-70 and in 1952.

The ‘buttery’, as it is known, is a two storey oblong building about 6m long by 5m wide. It is constructed of stone rubble with an ashlar cornice, quoins, plinth and window dressings. The north side retains, at lower level, a medieval blocked pointed arched opening and blocked four-centred arch opening, above which is a mid-20th century casement window. The west side has two mid-20th century casement windows to the first floor and two rectangular windows to the ground floor or undercroft. The south front has one mid-20th century window and two square lancet windows on each floor. The building has a single-cell interior on each floor, each of which have a quadripartite rib vault with hollow chamfered ribs that spring from floor level.

The ground floor or undercroft features a small cupboard with an arched head and a 15th century Reigate stone fireplace. Reset above the fireplace is a stone bracket, of about 1500, carved with an angel holding two shields thought to represent the arms of Sir Peter Arderne (Chief Baron of the Exchequer 1448-62) and Brian Rouclyff (Baron of the Exchequer 1452-88).

The Knights Templars are known to have had two halls in the Temple before they were suppressed in the early 14th century and their property was transferred to the Hospitallers.

The Knights Hospitallers leased part of the building to lawyers (the predecessors of the barristers of the Middle and Inner Temple) for use as a hostel. On their suppression in 1539 all the property of the Knights Hospitallers, including the Temple area, passed to the Crown. The buttery is a rare 14th century survival on the site; many of the buildings were later rebuilt, or replaced after Second World War bomb damage.

Inner Temple Hall Buttery is Grade II* listed.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

Inner Temple Hall Buttery, 53m south of Temple Church, is the undercroft and service end of a 14th century hall. Domestic undercrofts of the medieval period could comprise three, four or more vaulted bays depending upon the wealth of the owner. They were constructed of stone, fireproof and used for the storage of provisions or items of special value. Although undercrofts are sometimes referred to as cellars, they were not necessarily built entirely below ground level.

Despite alterations and additions, Inner Temple Hall Buttery survives well. It is a rare example of a surviving 14th century secular building in Greater London. The building retains some significant 14th and 15th century architectural features and will contain archaeological information relating to the use and history of the site.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Websites
Inner Temple Library. 2007. Inner Temple History, accessed 20 Aug 2009 from http://www.innertemplelibrary.org.uk/temple-history/inner-temple-history-the-buildings-hall-treasury.htm
Other
Greater London SMR MLO82155. NMR TQ38SW344. PastScape 404870. LBS 199526.

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.